Heating Curve Slope and Heat Capacity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Dahlia Kirov 3A

Heating Curve Slope and Heat Capacity

Postby Dahlia Kirov 3A » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:12 pm

Hi!

I understand that a higher heat capacity reflects more energy needed to change the temperature of a substance, but why would requiring more energy to change the temperature of a substance be reflected on a heating curve as having a smaller slope and being less steep?

Tiffany Wang 3L

Re: Heating Curve Slope and Heat Capacity

Postby Tiffany Wang 3L » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:12 pm

A higher heat capacity would have a smaller slope on a heating curve because it would take more heat added (x-axis) to reach the same temperature (y-axis) as something with a smaller heat capacity. Your reasoning is correct, but I think visualizing it would be more helpful. For example, in the image I attached, the green heating curve for a substance with higher heat capacity would reach 50 degrees only when more heat is added than a substance with lower heat capacity (blue heating curve).
Attachments
IMG_A1090898ECCA-1.jpeg

Bridgette Ryning 1D

Re: Heating Curve Slope and Heat Capacity

Postby Bridgette Ryning 1D » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:27 pm

To add on, heat capacity is how much energy it takes to increase one gram (or mol) by 1 degree. So for the substance to go up one degree it might have to absorb more energy hence the slope being less steep (going further across the x axis means more heat added)

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”