TextBook Problem 4B 7.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nailea_Espinal_1K

TextBook Problem 4B 7.

Postby Nailea_Espinal_1K » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:43 pm

In a combustion chamber, the total internal energy change produced from the burning of a fuel is 22573 kJ. The cooling system that surrounds the chamber absorbs 947 kJ as heat. How much work can be done by the fuel in the chamber?

For this question, I am having a hard time understanding how the 947 kj of heat is negative. I would assume it would be positive because it is saying that the cooling system absorbs 947 kj of heat. Would I be using the formula delta U= q +w, rewritten as w=delta U -q?

Thank you

Anita Sarransingh 2A

Re: TextBook Problem 4B 7.

Postby Anita Sarransingh 2A » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:24 am

Hi! The amount of heat entering the cooling system would be positive, but this heat was taken away from the fuel in the chamber. Since the question is asking how much work can be done by the fuel, the 947 kJ of heat would be negative since this heat is lost by the fuel and gained by the cooling system. The equation w = delta U - q looks correct.

Emma MacLachlan 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: TextBook Problem 4B 7.

Postby Emma MacLachlan 1D » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:58 am

I agree. The system in this case is the chamber in which the combustion is occurring. Therefore, if the total internal energy of the system is 2573 kJ and 947 kJ is being absorbed by the cooling system (which is part of the surroundings), then this value of q would be negative relative to the system.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”