Homework question 10

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Homework question 10

Postby 705925790 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:41 pm

I am having trouble for #10, can someone help? I feel like I am following the feedback but I cannot get the right answer.

Katie_Vaca_2B

Re: Homework question 10

Postby Katie_Vaca_2B » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:13 pm

hi!
I included a picture of my work, but let me see if I can explain the process:
if you look at the hints/feedback, it tells you that the heat required to melt the ice (q1) + the heat required to bring ice to the final temp (q2) = heat released that cools the given grams of water to its final temperature (q3). Thus, we will get two values of q that we can set equal to the third value. q1 will be the heat required to melt the ice, in which we will use q = m(Cs)(Tf - Ti) using the data from the ice cube. We can plug in our values and simplify to find q = (some value)Tf. For q2, which will be for fusion, we can use q = m(H fusion) which will give us a numerical value. Don’t forget to convert the grams to moles!
q3 will use q = m(Cs)(Tf - Ti) as well and use the data from the water.
Since we know that in this case q1 + q2 = q3, we can combine what we got for q1 and q2 and set it equal to q3 and solve for Tf. In my work, I replaced Tf with (x) just to make the variable clear.
I hope this helped :)
Attachments
IMG_1129.jpeg

Audrey2B

Re: Homework question 10

Postby Audrey2B » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:30 pm

Question 10 requires 2 steps. There is the part of the reaction where the temperature changes, in which you can use q=mcdeltaT, and then there is the part of the reaction where the temperature does not change, where you have to use the Delta H fusion and moles of reactant to find the energy.

Return to “Heat Capacities, Calorimeters & Calorimetry Calculations”