Significant Figures in relation to molar mass  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sophia Bozone 2G

Significant Figures in relation to molar mass

Postby Sophia Bozone 2G » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Should the amount of significant figures given in a value in the problem affect the number of sig figs that I use of the molar mass or should i go as precise as possible?
For Example: If I am given a mass with two significant figures and I need to convert that value to moles, should I only use two significant figures of the molar mass in my calculation?
Thanks, Sophia

Katherine Jordak 1H

Re: Significant Figures in relation to molar mass

Postby Katherine Jordak 1H » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:26 pm

I always use a couple more numbers than the amount of significant figures in order to avoid rounding errors and then round to the correct number of sig figs at the end. You can also use the correct sig figs for the molar mass of the molecules. Either way, just show your work.

Lily Guo 1D

Re: Significant Figures in relation to molar mass  [ENDORSED]

Postby Lily Guo 1D » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Keep the molar mass as precise as possible while calculating. You should try to round as little as possible until you reach your final answer! Then you should be fine.

Veronica Rasmusen 2B

Postby Veronica Rasmusen 2B » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:25 pm

For molar mass try to use as many decimal places as possible to be the most accurate. The number of sig figs in your final answer will still be the same as the initial amount of sig figs in the mass given (or whatever value given that has the least amount of sig figs)

DAllaf

Postby DAllaf » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm

While solving the problem try to keep the molar mass as precise as possible by rounding as little as possible. And then when you reach the final answer round to till you get the proper sig figs.

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”