Units for Answer

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maria Trujillo 1L

Units for Answer

Postby Maria Trujillo 1L » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:37 pm

How do we know what units to give the answer in? If what I am solving for was previously stated in kg, does that mean that my answer must be in kg? Some questions give you initial value in kg and then they give you the value of something else (which you are not solving for, but use in order to get answer) in g. Since you convert to g, do you report the answer in g or do you go back to kg?

DomMaiorca_1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Units for Answer

Postby DomMaiorca_1I » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:55 pm

In this problem specifically (L.35), the question asks for your answer in kilograms. If the question didn't ask for your answer in kg, it would be okay to leave your answer in grams. If you are ever unsure, you could just write your answer as " 5.09 x 10^5 g Fe or 509 kg Fe ", since it's ultimately the same amount.

Gianna Graziano 1A

Postby Gianna Graziano 1A » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi Maria,
Read the problems carefully, they will sometimes tell you what units to answer the question in. If the problem does not specify what they would like your end result in, then it is standard to give it in grams for example. Additionally, be cautious to convert from kg to g at the start of the problem. OR you could solve the entire problem in kg and then convert it at the end. The MOST important thing is that you are consistent throughout the problem.

Jessica Urzua-1H

Postby Jessica Urzua-1H » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:01 am

The best way to decide what units should be in the answer should be based on what the problem asks for specifically. For example, if the problem asks for the answer in kg specifically, then you should convert g back to kg. If you happen to come across problem that requires you to convert kg to g to solve the problem, leaving the answer in grams should be okay as long as the problem does not specify any other units. Also, if there are multiple choice questions, you can decide on the units based on the answer choices given. I hope this helps!!

Erin Li 1K

Postby Erin Li 1K » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:05 am

Most often if it is talking about mass then you would revert back to kg since it is one of the standard units. The standard units are kg, m, and sec which is what are normally used.

Bijal Luhar

Postby Bijal Luhar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:40 am

Hello,

A majority of the time you will not be docked points unless it specifically asks you to convert to KG. After all, a certain amount of grams will weigh the same amound in kilograms. Therefore, just read the question thoroughly and if it doesn't ask for anything specific don't worry about it!

Nienjou Claire 1E

Postby Nienjou Claire 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:08 pm

You could also see what units the original problem gives for the numbers and follow that.

Nimrat Brar 1E

Postby Nimrat Brar 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:11 pm

If a specific measurement isn't clearly asked for in the question, I believe you can leave it in grams.

Tiffany Tufenkjian 1E

Postby Tiffany Tufenkjian 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 pm

I usually go by the units given in the original problem unless specified otherwise. This may require converting a couple of times.

Cameron Smith 1I

Postby Cameron Smith 1I » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:50 pm

When showing our work will we lose points if we do not show how the units cancel out throughout the problem and just provide numbers and the final correct units?

JoeyAnn Mateo 1D

Postby JoeyAnn Mateo 1D » Mon May 14, 2018 1:58 pm

I don't think they will, but it is good to show your work for credit and for the process.

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”