state of compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Esther Lee 4H

state of compounds

Postby Esther Lee 4H » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:43 pm

is it necessary in a chemical equation to have the states of the compounds following the compound? like do I have to put solid, liquid, gas, to aqueous after each one? and how do you know if it's not given to you in the question?

Karishma_1G

Re: state of compounds

Postby Karishma_1G » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:49 pm

I think that in a recent lecture Dr. Lavelle said that he would like us to put the states of each compound in the chemical equation.

spark99
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby spark99 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:50 pm

yeah, I think you would have to state the state of the compound when doing chemical equations. Sometimes you can tell what state it's in by the context of the question. However, there are solubility rules you can memorize if you search them up online.

Shash Khemka 1K

Postby Shash Khemka 1K » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:52 pm

I think it would be a good idea to put the states of the compounds because I remember Dr. Lavelle and my TA talking about how they wanted us to put the states of the compounds for HW and Tests. The question will usually give you the state of the compound by either wording it or giving you the subscript straight up. For example, if the question includes "Nitrogen Atmosphere", you can infer that the nitrogen state will be a gas. However, the question can also just straight up tell you in a form such as H20(g) and you can conclude that it is water vapor. Hope this helped out!

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”