Unit Conversions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jennifer Guzman 4C

Unit Conversions

Postby Jennifer Guzman 4C » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Does anyone have an easy way to memorize all the SI units? Or at least any tips for memorizing them? It would be much appreciated, thanks!

juliasloan_4g

Re: Unit Conversions

Postby juliasloan_4g » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Personally I just have the very common units memorized such as kilo and milli. You generally memorize these just through using them so much. I would just memorize the units as they come up in the different topics of chem, because there are likely some that won't come up. However if you are intent on memorizing all of them I always find flashcards helpful.

Mariah Hill

Postby Mariah Hill » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:42 pm

I make flashcards for the basic SI units and go though until I have them all memorized because it's such a useful thing! You can also make phrases that you'd remember that have something to do with them. Then to remember how to do conversions, I always use the units in the problem and make sure by the end they cancel out and I'm left with the ones I want! Hope this helps

Courtney McHargue 1I

Postby Courtney McHargue 1I » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Just remember that the SI base units are kilograms(kg) for mass, meters(m) for length and seconds(s) for time. Then make sure you know the prefixes, such as mega, kilo, deci, centi, milli, etc, and the powers of ten from the original SI unit they represent.

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”