Naming Compounds?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sara Richmond 2K

Naming Compounds?

Postby Sara Richmond 2K » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:19 am

Will we be expected to be able to name compounds on exams like they ask you to in the textbook homework? If so where in the textbook can I find a review of how to name compounds?

Ada Chung 1C

Re: Naming Compounds?

Postby Ada Chung 1C » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:01 am

I'm not sure if naming compounds will be apart of the exam but it is really good to know how to name compounds especially in a Chemistry course since sometimes you won't always be given the formula and vice versa. It is likely you might see a problem where you will not be given the actual formula and will have to figure it out on your own just through the naming.

I would take a look at Section D (The Nomenclature of Compounds) which should be on page 33 of the textbook if you would like to review how to name compounds. This section goes over how to name cations, anions, ionic compounds, inorganic molecular compounds, as well as some common organic molecular compounds. Most of the naming should be a review of high school chemistry but it is nice to have if you haven't taken chemistry or can't remember everything from high school chemistry.

Ryan Chang 1C

Postby Ryan Chang 1C » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:47 am

The ability to name compounds is essential in any chemistry course, so we should assume that we will have to name compounds on upcoming tests. There are even some assigned homework problems for this week that require you to name compounds based on a molecular formula and vice versa, so it's a good idea to check out section D of the fundamentals if you haven't already.

Aayush Patel 3B

Postby Aayush Patel 3B » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Nomenclature for compounds such as NH3 (ammonia), SO4 2- (sulfate), etc. are the compounds that have to be memorized. However, I found naming inorganic molecular compounds to be a little easier because it can be done just by identifying the names of the two elements in the molecular compound, along with the correct prefixes that indicate the number of atoms of that respective element, and adding the suffix -ide to the element that is farther right in the periodic table. For example, CCl4 is carbon tetrachloride. Another example is SCl2, which is sulfur dichloride.

Katherine Brenner 3H

Postby Katherine Brenner 3H » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:06 pm

Section D is really helpful for that in the textbook. I do think that we will need to know what some of the compounds are like for nitrite. I think that as the course goes on you will become more familiar with certain compounds so there will not need to be much memorizing because we will be using them so much.

Mitchell Koss 4G

Postby Mitchell Koss 4G » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:44 pm

A good rule of thumb is to make sure you know at least the common ones

ayushibanerjee06
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby ayushibanerjee06 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:07 am

I asked my T.A. and he said that naming compounds will most likely not be on our exams

Jielena_Bragasin2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jielena_Bragasin2G » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Hi! I went to office hours today and he said that naming compounds will not be on THIS exam, but future exams will be worded with the compound name (ex. sulfuric acid) without the molecular formula (ex. H2SO4).

Sara Richmond 2K

Postby Sara Richmond 2K » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:11 pm

Jielena_Bragasin_LEC4_DIS4G wrote:Hi! I went to office hours today and he said that naming compounds will not be on THIS exam, but future exams will be worded with the compound name (ex. sulfuric acid) without the molecular formula (ex. H2SO4).

Thank You this was extremely helpful.

Christine Honda 2I

Postby Christine Honda 2I » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Even though this for this test you may not have to name compounds, Fundamentals D in the textbook is very helpful. I think it would be a good idea to look over it!

Leslie Magana 4C

Postby Leslie Magana 4C » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Fundamentals D in the textbook helps!

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”