Sig Figs: follow the book or follow Sig Fig rules?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cindy Adiwidjaja 1B

Sig Figs: follow the book or follow Sig Fig rules?

Postby Cindy Adiwidjaja 1B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm

While doing some of the homework, I noticed that the Solution Manual didn't follow the rules of Significant Figures and almost always used two decimal places for all the answers. I was just wondering if we needed to abide by the Solution Manual's numerical values or by the scientific Significant Figures rule while completing the homework.

Noah Canio 3C

Re: Sig Figs: follow the book or follow Sig Fig rules?

Postby Noah Canio 3C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:33 pm

That's strange, can you state some examples of problems that display this? I'm looking around the solutions manual myself and it seems like sig figs are correct for the most part. Regardless of whether or not the solutions manual doesn't abide to sig figs, I'd say go for displaying your answers in sig figs anyways because it seems like one of the concepts we're going to need to know when reporting answers for this class.

Michelle Song 1I

Postby Michelle Song 1I » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:33 pm

My TA said that most TAs won't care about sig figs when grading homework, and I would personally go with following the sig fig rules because then, if you actually do get points taken off, you have a good defense for your answer as the established rules should hold precedence over what the solutions manual does.

Alexandra Bartolome 2H

Postby Alexandra Bartolome 2H » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:43 pm

I think it would be best to follow sig fig rules, but like what another person asked, which problems in the solution manual ignored sig fig rules?

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”