Formula Names

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lilyana Villa 1J

Formula Names

Postby Lilyana Villa 1J » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Does anyone know if we are required to know how to write out formulas when only given the formula name (ex. magnesium nitrate)? I never remember how to write out endings like sulfate and nitrate on the spot.

Destiny_Ryales_3J

Re: Formula Names

Postby Destiny_Ryales_3J » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:01 pm

I would say that if we do have to know those, it doesn't seem like we are going to have a lesson on it. If anything it would be good just to find a small chart that explains the prefixes and suffixes (i.e. -ide, -ate, etc...).

HuyHa_2H

Postby HuyHa_2H » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Most of the problems you'll do will require you to write out chemical equations so yeah, you'll pretty much have to remember polyatomic ions especially in case the question won't give you the chemical formula for the compounds that you'll need.

Jesalynne 2F

Postby Jesalynne 2F » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm guessing if there are any questions in the homework like that then it'll be considered fair game. There is review in the textbook which would probably help with this or other resources like khan academy really help.

Areli C 1L

Postby Areli C 1L » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:13 pm

I would agree with everyone else, prefixes and suffixes are important to remember as it will also help you write out formula names given only the chemical formula. I'm pretty sure they'll give us a list of chemicals they'd want us to remember for the exam and maybe try to write the names of others including their charge.

Abbey Brandt 1K

Postby Abbey Brandt 1K » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Hello all,
I was in this class for a few weeks before I had to go home on medical leave. This unit is only a review of high school chemistry, so you should be aware of most of the naming rules. As is stated above, the prefixes and suffixes are important to know. If I remember correctly, you don't need to have everything memorized, but don't be surprised if in a question the name or chemical formula is not written out for you. Good luck!

FDeCastro_1B

Postby FDeCastro_1B » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:57 pm

My TA told our class that we're not expected to know the formulas ourselves. He said they'll provide them to us during the test. I'd email your TA to make sure though.

lilymayek_1E

Postby lilymayek_1E » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:02 pm

I'd say try and memorize common ones (magnesium sulfate, mgso4) just because they'll probably appear the most frequently. Like everyone else just have a little sheet with prefixes and suffixes :)

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”