Do I need to do very single textbook question on the syllabus?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jenaye Brelland 2I

Do I need to do very single textbook question on the syllabus?

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 pm

I find the textbook questions relatively hard, not because I don't know the process or concept of the question, but rather because the questions bring in many factors that TA or teachers did not explain, and also the questions include a lot of distracting information. I was wondering should I do every single question? Should I do only the ones that don't make me confused, or will I be okay just sticking to the worksheets I get at workshops, the sapling hw and Lavelle's lectures?

Bronson Mathos 1H

Re: Do I need to do very single textbook question on the syllabus?

Postby Bronson Mathos 1H » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:28 pm

You do not have to do every single question, you may only do the ones that you think you should do as they are not being collected, but remember that Lavelle does pull some questions from the textbook homework and places them on exams.

HilaGelfer_2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby HilaGelfer_2H » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Hey!

I spoke to other students who took Dr. Lavelle's class and they said that doing all the homework problems helps you prepare for his exams questions so I would definitely recommend you do as many as possible and post the ones you don't understand in the forum so that we can all help each other out. However, he does not collect the textbook homework problems from the syllabus so if you choose not to complete them your grade for homework won't be lowered.

I hope this helps :)

AmyHo2K

Postby AmyHo2K » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:32 pm

I would say to do a couple and see how well you do on them. If you feel like you're struggling, you could do more textbook and worksheet problems.

Arieanne De Guzman 2J
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Arieanne De Guzman 2J » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:33 pm

I believe it is recommended to do these textbook problems for practice, but you do not have the do every question. I typically just pick questions that seem to correlate more with what we're learning in the lectures and on our homework questions on Sapling so I can master the concepts. If I come across tricky questions that do correlate with what we're learning, I bring them up to my TA or classmates. I hope this helps and gives you some ease!

Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK

Postby Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:48 pm

If you do not want to do all of them, you of course don't have too. However, chemistry is a challenging subject at times with challenging problems, therefore it would be beneficial to work through a good amount of them so you can be as prepared as possible. Especially with how the midterms are free response, which forces you to actively know the concepts and apply them, doing as many textbook problems as possible will help you build that solid foundation.

Hazelle Gunawan 3G

Postby Hazelle Gunawan 3G » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:57 am

Does anyone know how often problems from the textbook appear on the exams?

Jasmine Vera 3L

Postby Jasmine Vera 3L » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:02 am

Hello! You do not need to do every textbook problem, but it is stated in the syllabus that it is highly recommended due to the fact that the exams will contain problems straight from the textbook. Also, I’m not sure if all TA’s are doing this, but my TA would go over some of the problems in the textbook! But it is in your best interest to do so :)

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:54 am

I mean, the textbook problems can only help, right?

Amanda Bueno-Kling
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Amanda Bueno-Kling » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:04 pm

As far as I understand, you don't have to do any of them, they're just recommended for your benefit. My roommate, who took 14A last academic year, said that she found them really helpful in reviewing concepts from high school and preparing for exams. If you have the time to work through some or all of them, I'd recommend it!

alexandralopez 3F

Postby alexandralopez 3F » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:25 pm

HI!
I dont think you have to do actually do any of them but my friend who took chem 14a a couple quarters ago said they were really good problems to do especially to look over/practice before the midterms! plus i think they're just good practice to kind of navigate how confident you feel about the topics we're learning in class :)

Irene Nguyen 2J

Postby Irene Nguyen 2J » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:38 pm

You don't have to do all of them, but doing as much as you can is very beneficial! As you said, there are multiple resources in 14a for learning, but a lot of the questions will be similar to ones that will be in upcoming exams. From my friends who have taken 14a before, they've found the textbook questions to be very helpful. If certain problems are confusing or difficult, it wouldn't hurt to bring those up during OH if you have time to spare.

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:59 pm

While doing every question is definitely not required, it would only benefit you by preparing you for the test. However, if time is an issue I would focus on doing problems on the topics that you struggle on the most.

Jasraj Parmar 3H

Postby Jasraj Parmar 3H » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:05 am

The textbook problems aren’t graded. They are highly recommended though because they will be very similar to what you will see on the exams.

LarisaAssadourian2K

Postby LarisaAssadourian2K » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:50 pm

You don't have to do every single textbook question because we don't have to turn them in. However, I think doing most of the problems (or at least picking out the hardest ones) would be really beneficial and help you get a good grade. :)

Jenaye Brelland 2I

Postby Jenaye Brelland 2I » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:16 am

Okay! Based on all of your replies, I will try to do as many textbook questions as I can. Thank you!

ALee_1J

Postby ALee_1J » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:33 am

Sapling HW is counted towards points in the class while textbook questions do not. However, textbook questions are what Dr. Lavelle will be basing exam questions off of. So in short, they are extra practice for the exams.

Jason Knight - 1F

Postby Jason Knight - 1F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:14 am

I believe doing every textbook problem he assigns is a great way to stay on top of the class. Dr. Lavelle made it clear that he is likely to pull out practice problems and assign them within the exams. I think the textbook does a good job of critical thinking through word problems.

Andrew Yoon 3L

Postby Andrew Yoon 3L » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:35 pm

I would because it just gives you a lot of practice. Doing all the problems, is however, really hard to do.

Ava_Basileo_2J

Postby Ava_Basileo_2J » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 pm

They are not required grade wise, but doing all the questions has really helped me iron out the kinks and memorize each chemistry concept.
At least read over all the questions and make sure you know how you would approach it if you were to complete it.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:03 pm

It's not going to hurt your grade if you don't do every single question, but I would do a few questions from each segment in order to self study for the exam and make sure you know all of the topics that are being covered.

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:24 pm

If you look at the syllabus, there are multiple practice problems Professor Lavelle recommended, so I think doing all of those will prepare you more than enough for the midterm!

Kathy_Li_1H

Postby Kathy_Li_1H » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:27 pm

Hey! I think you should definitely do a few textbook questions in each section just to make sure that you understand the content and can apply it. However, this isn't required but rather recommended!

Yolanda_Xing_3A

Postby Yolanda_Xing_3A » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:08 am

Yes. I think textbook questions are really helpful. If u find them hard to solve, that’s right. It means it will help you a lot on the test.

If you think it’s too much work. Just do the questions post on Outline. It’s better than nothing.

Will Skinner

Postby Will Skinner » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:12 am

It is a good idea to do all the textbook problems. The exams are based off problems from the textbook exercises.

Simi Kapila_3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Simi Kapila_3E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:08 am

Hey I kind of have a similar question, but couldn't figure out how to make a new post. Does anyone know if there are answers to the questions in the textbook to check if we are doing them correctly?

Kaiya_PT_1H

Postby Kaiya_PT_1H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Simi Kapila_2L wrote:Hey I kind of have a similar question, but couldn't figure out how to make a new post. Does anyone know if there are answers to the questions in the textbook to check if we are doing them correctly?

Yes, the end of the book has an "odd-numbered exercises" section where it lists all the answers for the odd-numbered questions!

Jacquelyn Challis 2B

Postby Jacquelyn Challis 2B » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:23 pm

I've been finding that the textbook questions are harder than the Sapling questions/ other practice problems Lavelle show us. Is anyone else feeling this?

Erika Sosa-Cruz 1J

Postby Erika Sosa-Cruz 1J » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:24 pm

So would it be useful to only do the odd number on so that we can check our answer instead of doing all of them and not knowing whether or not we are solving them correctly.

Liam Bertrand 3

Postby Liam Bertrand 3 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:25 pm

Yea, I'm feeling the same. But I'm doing a couple every night to prepare for the midterm.

Sarah Huang 3A

Postby Sarah Huang 3A » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Hello!

Although you do not have to do every single question, it is highly recommended that you try to do every single one that has been assigned because Dr.Lavelle did assign them for us to have a better understanding of the concepts. Not only that, but some questions on the big exams can also be similar to textbook question, so if you have issues solving them, if you are able to figure them out from the textbook, then you will be more prepared for the exams :)

Best of Luck!

Teti Omilana 1G

Postby Teti Omilana 1G » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:27 pm

How are you guys checking your answers for even # problems?

Day Preciado 1H

Postby Day Preciado 1H » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:02 pm

^^^ I have the same question. I do even problems but I have no way of knowing if I'm doing them correctly.

Annette Fishman

Postby Annette Fishman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:05 pm

Like everybody has mentioned above, it's your call. They aren't collected, but they help you prepare for exams and the coming up midterm. If you look at the syllabus, there are multiple practice problems Professor Lavelle recommended. Whatever feels best for you!

Chloe Kauffman 1D

Postby Chloe Kauffman 1D » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:11 pm

Day Preciado 1H wrote:^^^ I have the same question. I do even problems but I have no way of knowing if I'm doing them correctly.

I don't think the solution manual has the answers for even problems. I would try and do the odd problems first to refer back to the answers and do the even ones for extra practice.

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”