How to Show Your Work

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madilyn Schindler 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

How to Show Your Work

Postby Madilyn Schindler 3E » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:07 am

Does anyone know if it matters how or if we need to show our work? I've noticed some people posting their work and it seems super organized, like every number has units and there are very clear unit conversions. When I'm doing problems, I only write down the things that I need to write down in order to solve the problem. I'm also not sure how our tests are gonna work, so I don't know if we're even going to need to ever submit work. But if anyone knows anything, let me know!

Natalie Phan 3G

Re: How to Show Your Work

Postby Natalie Phan 3G » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:39 am

From what I've heard from my TA, the exams will be multiple choice. So no need to show work! Some people prefer to write out super neat and detailed work, but it is not a necessity when it comes to grading on the tests. So whatever you want to show is fine!

Jasmine Vera 3L

Postby Jasmine Vera 3L » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:52 am

Hello! I believe it all depends on how comfortable you feel with the material. During a discussion session with my TA, he went over a simple balancing chemical equations problem and I questioned this during the breakout session. It’s not required to show full work and every single step, as long as you know the concept and understand how you are getting your answer.

Madison Muggeo 3H

Postby Madison Muggeo 3H » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:22 am

I'm not the OP, but thank you to those who responded because like the OP I tend not to have the neatest work, and this thread helped make me less anxious about exams. Thanks!

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:49 am

Natalie Phan 3G wrote:From what I've heard from my TA, the exams will be multiple choice. So no need to show work! Some people prefer to write out super neat and detailed work, but it is not a necessity when it comes to grading on the tests. So whatever you want to show is fine!

Oh that's good. Thanks for the heads up!

Sedge Greenlee

Postby Sedge Greenlee » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:55 am

In cases where there are multiple unit conversions or steps to a problem, it is probably best to show your work as to make it easier on yourself if you go wrong somewhere and need to figure out where fast. Otherwise, if you're feeling confident you can do it all on your calculator.

Molly_Peterson_2F

Postby Molly_Peterson_2F » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am

I think that normally as long as the grader can follow along and see your thought process it should be fine to not include units. I'm not sure that we will be turning in our work. I think it will depend on the type of test that we are given.

Nathan Tong 3G

Postby Nathan Tong 3G » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:32 am

As far as I know, you won't be graded on your work, just the answers you come up with. If you have a method of working out problems that works for you, then use it. But as the math gets more complex it might be in your best interest to write out your work clearly step by step. It's always good to have worked out examples that you can refer back to when reviewing.

Madilyn Schindler 3E

Postby Madilyn Schindler 3E » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Okay perfect thank you!

Khoa Vu 3l

Postby Khoa Vu 3l » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:35 pm

Sorry to jump in late! As long as you get the question right I don't think neat or detailed work should matter. Everyone learns differently! However, writing down each problem step by step really helps me reinforce my understanding of the material and realize which areas I might need to study. Like you, writing down what I currently know from the problem also helps me figure out what equation I need to use and what other variables I need to find.

jessicaosuna_1F

Postby jessicaosuna_1F » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi! From what I understand, all the work is not necessary but highly suggested, especially for checking your work/going back and finding mistakes. :)

Halle Villalobos 3E

Postby Halle Villalobos 3E » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 pm

My TA told us that Lavelle really encourages us to show our work. I'm not sure if we would necessarily get decked off points for not doing it, but I think it's a good habit to get into, especially when you go back to check your work when you get a question wrong.

Jaden Joodi 3J

Postby Jaden Joodi 3J » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:25 pm

While showing work is not necessary, I would highly recommend showing work. Showing work allows you to not get lost in the numbers as easily, and it can also help you understand exactly what you are doing. At the very least, you should probably show work with regards to dimensional analysis. I have found that doing this prevents me from making silly mistakes that I could make otherwise.

miguel zatarain 2B

Postby miguel zatarain 2B » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:25 pm

I don't think we have to show any work whatsoever , but it could be helpful to you if you show your work while working on examples or homework problems.

Kathy_Li_1H

Postby Kathy_Li_1H » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi! Even though it's not required for you to show work, I think it's better for you to just to prevent yourself from making mistakes (in unit conversion especially!). Also it's good for when you want to look back on your old work and truly understand your own thought process.

cadytran1K

Postby cadytran1K » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:52 pm

Hello! I know my TA mentioned that it would be better to show your work and be as precise as possible. Even though it's not required, it's always best to do so.

Mina Tadros 3L

Postby Mina Tadros 3L » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 pm

I would highly recommend showing your work. It makes everything easier. By showing my work, I can understand where to start and where to manipulate the equation to get the variable I am looking for. Also, it helps with keeping track of my units. As I stated earlier, I highly recommend you show your work to make your life easier in the long run.

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”