Converting equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ruth Rosales 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Converting equations

Postby Ruth Rosales 3D » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Hi,
While I was working on the homework a lot of my problems originated from wrongly converting equations. This occurred with equations as simple as E = hc/lambda

Any tips?

Connie Liang 3L

Re: Converting equations

Postby Connie Liang 3L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:58 pm

I would recommend writing out each step to the conversion while you're doing it. Sometimes, I find myself doing the steps in my head and skipping writing them down which leads to confusion. Hope that helps!

Natalie 3k

Postby Natalie 3k » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:00 am

Hi, I come across this problem a lot too, but it helps me to write out each equation with units every step of the way, without skipping steps. Hope it helps!

Melody Wu 2L

Postby Melody Wu 2L » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:55 am

I agree with the people above, but sometimes I get confused if I write down too much and end up forgetting a step like squaring a number. I usually just stop periodically as I'm solving to make sure I'm not missing something before moving on to the next step. Slowing down a little helps save time at the end :)

Shrey Pawar 2A
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Shrey Pawar 2A » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:07 am

Personally I also just don't use the combined equation. Even though it is quicker to use hc/lamda for some reason it confuses me more. So I like to use the individual equations to solve for things and plugin afterwards that way I know exactly what I'm solving for. Hope this helps!

EnricoArambulo3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby EnricoArambulo3H » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 am

When I solve the equation, I make sure to write my units out. So for E = hv, I do E Joules = h Joules * seconds / v seconds. It also helps to know that Joules is kgm^2/s^2 in these cases. You want to make sure that all the units cancel out except for the one you are solving for. I hope this helped!

Gabriel Nitro 1E

Postby Gabriel Nitro 1E » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Hi,

A common tip I would use is to first write down what equations you will be working with right in front of you. From there, I would be sure to write out each step in the process without skipping any details as I am plugging in equations. Finally, I would check at the end to see if the units of both sides match up correctly.

Hope this helps! :)

Annika Tamaki 1E

Postby Annika Tamaki 1E » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:42 pm

I printed out Lavelle's formula sheet and have just recorded a bunch of common conversions. It has helped me become more familiar with them conceptionally, and I am more confident converting them for assignments.

Cass Cheng 2A

Postby Cass Cheng 2A » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi! Like some commenters said, I like to write down everything before I proceed in solving the problem. I also found reading the problem multiple times to be extremely helpful. Each time I read, I try to make connections between each part and try to have a general idea of which way I'm supposed to proceed. That way I'll have a better idea of which equations to use, and if you have to convert, which equations you have to convert to.

Madison Wong 3H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Madison Wong 3H » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Also make sure that you place parentheses in the right places when combining multiple steps of an equation, to make sure there aren't PEMDAS issues that could result in a wrong answer!

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:43 am

Ruth Rosales 3D wrote:Hi,
While I was working on the homework a lot of my problems originated from wrongly converting equations. This occurred with equations as simple as E = hc/lambda

Any tips?

I like highlighting or putting different shapes on a specific part of the equation I'm working on, and put a check mark so I know I completed the specific part of that question!

Kelly Tran 1J

Postby Kelly Tran 1J » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:34 am

Like others have said above, I think a good tip would be to write out every step of the problem solving just so you ensure that you are using every value that is required in the calculation. I also recommend writing out all of the units for each value as well because it is a great indication of whether or not you solved the problem correctly. For example, if your units do not cancel out correctly, it would mean that you either used the incorrect value or forgot to convert a value.

Kiara Phillips 3L

Postby Kiara Phillips 3L » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:29 pm

I suggest being extremely through, writing out every step with its corresponding units, maybe even a sentence on the side describing what you did during that step before moving on.

Brian Bui 3H

Postby Brian Bui 3H » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:40 pm

Something I'd like to add is to check your units. Like for example if you're calculating the frequency make sure the units you end up with is s^-1. This is a very simple example but you can apply it more complicated ones like Joules, where it should be kg x m^2 x s^-2.

Morgan Gee 3B

Postby Morgan Gee 3B » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:47 am

I personally found that not combining equations is easier for me to understand. I don't have to convert between equations and makes my work seem much more methodical.

claraschwartz_3H

Postby claraschwartz_3H » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:44 pm

Annika Tamaki 1E wrote:I printed out Lavelle's formula sheet and have just recorded a bunch of common conversions. It has helped me become more familiar with them conceptionally, and I am more confident converting them for assignments.

That sounds like a great idea. Where did you find the formula sheet?

Minoo Bastani 2J

Postby Minoo Bastani 2J » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:28 am

claraschwartz_3H wrote:
Annika Tamaki 1E wrote:I printed out Lavelle's formula sheet and have just recorded a bunch of common conversions. It has helped me become more familiar with them conceptionally, and I am more confident converting them for assignments.

That sounds like a great idea. Where did you find the formula sheet?

The formula sheet can be found on the class website under "Constants and Equations", but here is the link anyways! Hope this helps :)

https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-content/supporting-files/Chem14A/constants_equations.pdf

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”