"Tert-" Prefix

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Catherine Lowe 1B

"Tert-" Prefix

Postby Catherine Lowe 1B » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:20 pm

What does "tert" mean? How does an individual identify if there should be "tert" in the name of an organic compound?

SamBeckert 1B

Re: "Tert-" Prefix

Postby SamBeckert 1B » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Hey I've been having a similar question. So far I've identified that its a tertiary carbon and is in the "T" shape. Theres a pretty good example of it on page 23 of the organic text. Thats the most common representation of it I can seem to find though. Anything beyond that I can't seem to figure out.

Austin Vo 1K

Postby Austin Vo 1K » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Similar to what was stated earlier, tert- means that there is a carbon that is bonded to three other carbons. It can be part of the name given to different types of isomers with this structure. In naming different substances, tert- usually appears as part of a common name as in the "tert-butyl" substituent. Just think "tertiary" or "three."

Hannah Markovic 3C

Postby Hannah Markovic 3C » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Just so you know, the central carbon in a tert- substituent will actually be quaternary because it will also need to attach to the parent chain, so it is bonded to 4 other carbons. But the fact that it's bonded to 3 other carbons that are part of the substituent is probably where the tert- name comes from

Mallika Varkhedi 2E

Postby Mallika Varkhedi 2E » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:15 pm

When naming a molecule using the tert prefix, is it taken into consideration for the alphabetical ordering? I am asking because I was a little confused about the order of the solution to 1.17 in the organic textbook, 4-tert-Butyl-1,2-dimethylcyclohexane.

Hannah Markovic 3C

Postby Hannah Markovic 3C » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:26 pm

No, tert is not taken into consideration for alphabetical ordering. I use INST to remember that iso and neo count for alphabetizing, while sec and tert do not.

Return to “*Alkanes”