When to use Z vs. E?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

sarathornburgh1b

When to use Z vs. E?

Postby sarathornburgh1b » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:49 am

How do we know when we need to include Z vs. E in a cycloalkene? In some of the posted problem sets it includes them and in some it does not.

Sakina_Qadir_3K

Re: When to use Z vs. E?

Postby Sakina_Qadir_3K » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:20 pm

In most cases, I believe you use Z when it is "cis" (which means on the same side) and use E when it is "trans"(which means on opposite sides). Hope that helps!

Manpreet Singh 1N
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Manpreet Singh 1N » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:32 pm

More specifically Z is used when the high priority groups are on the same side and E is when the high priority are on the opposite side. The high priority group is determined by atomic number

Mana_Sheykhsoltan_1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Mana_Sheykhsoltan_1A » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:51 am

What if two substituents are on one side and one subsistent is on the other side? Would it be cis or trans? I understand when you are only looking at two substituents, but how do you differentiate cis from trans when there are more than two substituents?

ChiragThadaniDis2M

Postby ChiragThadaniDis2M » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:34 am

Mana_Sheykhsoltan_1A wrote:What if two substituents are on one side and one subsistent is on the other side? Would it be cis or trans? I understand when you are only looking at two substituents, but how do you differentiate cis from trans when there are more than two substituents?

You will first have to determine the priority of the two substituents that are on the same side. The constituent that has more priority will be compared to the constituent on the other carbon and based on the location, you can determine if it is cis or trans.

Return to “*Cycloalkenes”