Problem Set 2 Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle_Nguyen_3F

Problem Set 2 Question

Postby Michelle_Nguyen_3F » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:16 am

Hello! I understand that when determining whether a molecule is cis or trans, we give the higher priority to the atom with the larger atomic molecule. In this case, I know Br has the higher priority, but how do we know that it is trans since on the other side, they are both CH3 and thus have the same priority. Also, do we need to do the trans/cis classification for both double bonds? Thank you!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 11.11.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 11.11.34 AM.png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Problem Set 2 Question

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Michelle_Nguyen_3F wrote:Hello! I understand that when determining whether a molecule is cis or trans, we give the higher priority to the atom with the larger atomic molecule. In this case, I know Br has the higher priority, but how do we know that it is trans since on the other side, they are both CH3 and thus have the same priority. Also, do we need to do the trans/cis classification for both double bonds? Thank you!

This is absolutely not how cis/trans works. You are describing E/Z classification system. Do NOT mistake them as they are completely different. Cis/trans uses the longest carbon chain. E/Z uses higher atomic numbers. If you are having trouble understanding how to use both, just use one (I prefer E/Z as it is very straightforward).

Return to “*Constitutional and Geometric Isomers (cis, Z and trans, E)”