Intro to Organic Chem (Self Test 2.2B)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Yusrah Ishtiaq 1E

Intro to Organic Chem (Self Test 2.2B)

Postby Yusrah Ishtiaq 1E » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:11 am

The following Self-Test Exercise 2.2B (A) says: "Name the compound (CH3)2CFCH2CH(CH2CH3)2." No matter how hard I try, I'm not getting the answer, which according to the solutions is: 4-Ethyl-2-fluoro-2methylhexane. Am I drawing the line structure wrong? Where is the F attached to and is it possible for someone to show me how they named it? Thank you.

Re: Intro to Organic Chem (Self Test 2.2B)

Postby 504549031 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52 am

As indicated in the name the F is attached to the second carbon atom in the parent chain. They count one methyl and ethyl group as part of the parent chain, hence why there is no dimethyl or diethyl. They start with 4-ethyl since the substituents must be alphabetized. Since they are treating the fluorine as a substituent, it comes right after the ethyl in naming, which leaves the methyl group as the final substituent in the name. Counting the carbon atoms in the longest chain and noticing that this molecule and only single bonds between the carbon atoms leads us to conclude that this molecule is hexane. Therefore, the name of the structure is 4-ethyl-2-fluoro-2-methylhexane.

Return to “*Haloalkanes”