SIG FIGS in ratios

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ricardo Martin 1J

SIG FIGS in ratios

Postby Ricardo Martin 1J » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 pm

When a problem asks for a ratio would we also need to make sure all values of the ratio are in terms of significant figures? For example in exercise F.9 (of the 7th edition), the ratio of the answer would be 1O:2.67C:2.67H, however, the lowest number of significant figures from the problem is three (5.30%H). Therefore, would I need to write the ratio as 1.00(O):2.67(C):2.67(H) or does significant figures not apply to ratios?

Krisdylle Repollo 4H

Re: SIG FIGS in ratios

Postby Krisdylle Repollo 4H » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm not sure what Professor Lavelle would want in regards to sig figs in ratios, but in high school we were taught that sig figs would only be applied at the end when you find your answer. You can always use sig figs in your calculations though, because you'll most likely end up getting the same answer or an answer that is somewhere around that number. I suggest asking Lavelle after lecture or talking to one of the TAs if you want a clearer answer.

Saleha_Mian_3E

Postby Saleha_Mian_3E » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:22 pm

To get an accurate number as the answer you should use Sig figs at the end of your calculation.

Madeera_Mian_3B

Postby Madeera_Mian_3B » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:44 pm

I agree with Krisdylle, it would be most helpful to use significant figures in calculations. Applying significant figures to the ratios will probably not change the answer significantly. The ratios in the problem should eventually be in whole numbers so using significant figures would probably help with the end result. Again, it would probably be most accurate to apply the significant figures at the end of calculations or even applying it to the end of the whole calculations.

Rosha Mamita 2H

Postby Rosha Mamita 2H » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:41 pm

using sig figs during your calculations wont necessarily get you a wrong answer, just maybe a slightly less accurate answer. I believe you should just use sig figs at the end of your answer though, that's what I learned in AP Chem. It's especially helpful for when there aren't many sig figs in the question.

Return to “Significant Figures”