Sig Figs for Tests/Quizzes

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rita Chen 1B

Sig Figs for Tests/Quizzes

Postby Rita Chen 1B » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello all!

I was wondering if you guys know how the sigfigs will be graded during test and quizzes. Sometimes, when there is only 1 significant figure, I feel like my answer seems off. Do you know if partial credit would be given?

Thank you!

Michael Nguyen 1E

Re: Sig Figs for Tests/Quizzes

Postby Michael Nguyen 1E » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:56 pm

In my opinion, it would be best to always report the correct amount of significant figures even if there are only 1 or 2. I don't see how points could be deducted for following the correct significant figures rules. I'm not sure if partial credit will be awarded for a correct answer with the wrong amount of significant figures, but I hope so!

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi Rita,

I agree with Michael. In my past Chemistry experience, significant figures are taken pretty seriously. You should try to adhere to them, especially if the question specifically asks for them (e.g. if it says "round to 3 significant figures"). However, if the questions uses all whole numbers or leaves the number of sig figs ambiguous, you might be alright. My previous Chem teacher always took off partial points for incorrect sig figs, so I would expect Dr. Lavelle to do the same. However, I believe Dr. Lavelle mentioned that he will be giving partial credit for showing work. Therefore, if all of your steps are correct but you add/delete a significant figure, you will probably still get partial points. I hope this helps!

-Rebecca

Haley Dveirin 1E

Sig Figs

Postby Haley Dveirin 1E » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:25 pm

For sig figs, do we round to the correct number of sig figs at the end or do we constantly round to the correct number as we go?

EvanWang

Re: Sig Figs

Postby EvanWang » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Haley Dveirin 4B wrote:For sig figs, do we round to the correct number of sig figs at the end or do we constantly round to the correct number as we go?

Generally, it is better to try to use exact values throughout the calculations and then round at the end. If your calculator has it, it could be helpful to save the exact values as variables. My calculator doesn't do that, so I just write as many decimals as my calculator displays.

kim 2I

Postby kim 2I » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:33 pm

It's probably best to not worry about sig figs until the end of all of your calculations. Since you'd want the most accurate answer at the end, it's better to have as many decimal places when using the calculated values to find your answer. It'd be unnecessary to worry about sig figs through each step since sig figs are usually for the final value!

Michelle Xie 2B

Postby Michelle Xie 2B » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Points probably won't be taken off for the correct number of sigfigs. I save all my decimals till the very end and then round where I need to so I'm not off by a few decimals.

Diana_Diep2I

Postby Diana_Diep2I » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:45 pm

I agree. Try to keep all of your calculations as accurate as possible until the last rounding for your answer. But I asked the sig fig question during my discussion and I was told that there would not really be a penalty when it comes to sig figs.

Return to “Significant Figures”