Sig Figs for Adding

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chloe Alviz 1E

Sig Figs for Adding

Postby Chloe Alviz 1E » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:42 pm

How do significant figures work when we are adding decimal values together (ex. 0.38 + 0.7)? Also, should I wait to round my values until the end of the problem?

Julianna Laurentano 4G

Re: Sig Figs for Adding

Postby Julianna Laurentano 4G » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:45 pm

I believe that first you would add the two numbers together, and then you would round the final answer to the least number of significant figures present in any part of the problem (so in this case, round to the tenths place). Today in discussion, my TA mentioned that it is most important that our final answer has the correct number of significant figures (and not every number we utilize throughout the problem), so as long as your final answer is rounded correctly, you should be fine.

philipraj_1F

Re: Sig Figs for Adding

Postby philipraj_1F » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Julianna Laurentano 4G wrote:I believe that first you would add the two numbers together, and then you would round the final answer to the least number of significant figures present in any part of the problem (so in this case, round to the tenths place). Today in discussion, my TA mentioned that it is most important that our final answer has the correct number of significant figures (and not every number we utilize throughout the problem), so as long as your final answer is rounded correctly, you should be fine.

I think for adding specifically you round your answer to the least number of places to the decimal point. So if you added .1111 and .33, the answer would be .44

Return to “Significant Figures”