Sig Figs given in problem vs solution

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sig Figs given in problem vs solution

Postby 305416361 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I was reading through the posts on this board but I thought I'd post myself just to clarify - does the number of sig figs you give in your solution have to match the number of sig figs that the given values in the problem have?

Aiden Metzner 2C

Re: Sig Figs given in problem vs solution

Postby Aiden Metzner 2C » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Yes, because the accuracy of your calculations shouldn't go beyond the accuracy of what is given to you in the problems. If you have more sig figs than you are essentially being too specific.

AniP_2D

Postby AniP_2D » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes, you should and if you are presented with values that have a different amount of sig figs, remember to use the same amount of sig figs as the value that has the least amount of sig figs for your final answer.

Cassidy Kohlenberger 3D

Postby Cassidy Kohlenberger 3D » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Ideally, yes, your answer should have the same number of sig figs as the values given in the problem. However, I asked my TA if on test one they were looking for the correct amount of sig figs in our answers and he said not to worry too much about it. As long as you know the concept and your answer is accurate numerically, you should be fine. So don't stress about sig figs on the test, although they are a fundamental/important concept to grasp.

Return to “Significant Figures”