How to use Scientific Notation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

How to use Scientific Notation

Postby 705512695 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:02 pm

When working with scientific notations, what are some rules when it comes to multiplying and dividing them? Especially when it comes down to the exponents.

AdilaAhmed3I

Re: How to use Scientific Notation

Postby AdilaAhmed3I » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:21 pm

When multiplying two numbers in scientific notation, multiply their coefficients and add their exponents. When dividing two numbers in scientific notation, divide their coefficients and subtract their exponents. If you remember from math where we were taught how to multiply and divide with exponents, the same rules apply to this case as well. Just make sure that after you multiply or divide to reconvert it to scientific notation.

Kelly Tran 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kelly Tran 1J » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:29 pm

Also, when multiplying and dividing numbers in scientific notation, make sure that your answer has the correct number of significant figures. Your answer should have the same number of sig figs as both values. However, if both values have a different number of sig figs, your answer should have the least amount of sig figs. For example, (2.0 x 10^2) x (3.00 x 10^2) = 6.0 x 10^4 since the least number of sig figs is 2.

kristinalaudis3e
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby kristinalaudis3e » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:58 pm

They multiply and divide normally. For mw personally, it may be a little more work but I take the terms out of their scientific notation and multiply/divide normally, then put my answer back into scientific notation with the correct number of sig figs. This helps me make sure that I am doing it correctly. I hope this helps!

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:07 pm

I also do what Kristina does, in the sense that I take them out of scientific notation to divide/multiply. This just helps me make sure I am multiplying and dividing correctly and and overall gives me a piece of mind that I am messing up my calculations here.

Nathaly Cruz 2D

Postby Nathaly Cruz 2D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:22 pm

Kelly Tran 1C wrote:Also, when multiplying and dividing numbers in scientific notation, make sure that your answer has the correct number of significant figures. Your answer should have the same number of sig figs as both values. However, if both values have a different number of sig figs, your answer should have the least amount of sig figs. For example, (2.0 x 10^2) x (3.00 x 10^2) = 6.0 x 10^4 since the least number of sig figs is 2.

Thank you Kelly, that really helped. I understand now!! :D

Postby 705512695 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:51 am

AdilaAhmed2L wrote:When multiplying two numbers in scientific notation, multiply their coefficients and add their exponents. When dividing two numbers in scientific notation, divide their coefficients and subtract their exponents. If you remember from math where we were taught how to multiply and divide with exponents, the same rules apply to this case as well. Just make sure that after you multiply or divide to reconvert it to scientific notation.

Thank you so much! This really made more sense after reading this!

Gicelle Rubin 1E

Postby Gicelle Rubin 1E » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:06 pm

AdilaAhmed2L wrote:When multiplying two numbers in scientific notation, multiply their coefficients and add their exponents. When dividing two numbers in scientific notation, divide their coefficients and subtract their exponents. If you remember from math where we were taught how to multiply and divide with exponents, the same rules apply to this case as well. Just make sure that after you multiply or divide to reconvert it to scientific notation.

Thank you so much for this! I sometimes get confused by this!!

Kendall_Dewey_2D

Postby Kendall_Dewey_2D » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:50 am

This link has some super clear and concise examples on when and how to use scientific notation that I found to be helpful, as it can be easy to be confused on this topic! https://calcworkshop.com/exponents/scientific-notation/

Melanie Lin 3E

Postby Melanie Lin 3E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:00 pm

Thanks Adila! This was a super helpful comment and really gives a quick method for all of us to calculate values in scientific notation. I did not think about this in the way you explained so it was pretty eye-opening.

Return to “Significant Figures”