Rouding Range

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Angel Gutierrez 2E

Rouding Range

Postby Angel Gutierrez 2E » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:34 pm

Does anybody know the rounding range that will get you the correct answer for the midterms?

Lily Kiamanesh 2G

Re: Rouding Range

Postby Lily Kiamanesh 2G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Hi! I heard that all the answer options will be different enough that sig figs won't influence your choice, but I believe that keeping to sig fig conventions is always a safe bet.

Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sahaj Patel Lec3DisK » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:00 pm

Yeah, sig figs will not be particularly tested on, and the answer choices will have enough difference where you will be able to tell which one is the correct one. As a general rule, try to be exact as possible until the you reach your final answer, and when you do, look at the given numbers you had to work with in the problem (the ones in the question). The number with the lowest number of sig figs should be the one you round your final answer too.

angelasavage

Postby angelasavage » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:37 pm

Angel Gutierrez 2E wrote:Does anybody know the rounding range that will get you the correct answer for the midterms?

I was told by my TA that the answer choices should be different enough that you should be able to differentiate between them when choosing your solution, but just in practice (as stated above), it's always the best idea to be as exact as possible throughout and then have your last step be rounding your final answer to the lowest number of sig figs in the question.

Armen_Isayan_2L

Postby Armen_Isayan_2L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:43 pm

The rounding range is usually contingent on how many sig figs you should be using to answer the problem.

Arnav Saud 2C

Postby Arnav Saud 2C » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:51 pm

In terms of rounding, only round on your final answer. Avoid rounding between each of your steps because it can make your answer less accurate.
Rounding in general is dependent on the number of sig figs that are needed for that question.

Irene Nguyen 2J

Postby Irene Nguyen 2J » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:59 pm

You should be keeping most (if not all) digits for your intermediary calculations and only round at the end to the appropriate sig figs (as specified in each question) to get the most accurate answer.

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:57 pm

I don't think that the questions on midterms will try to "trick" you with differently rounded answers, so there should be an obvious difference between all the answer choices.

Return to “Significant Figures”