At what stage in your your work do you keep track of sig figs?  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aryan Singh 3F

At what stage in your your work do you keep track of sig figs?

Postby Aryan Singh 3F » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:17 pm

Do you round sig figs at all in the middle of your calculation? Or do you not round at all until you have reached your final answer. What happens if there are two parts to the questions and the first part asks you for say the number of moles and the second part asks you for the molar mass. If the moles is actually 169.42moles and it asks for three sig figs, I would write 169 for part A. For part b, would I multiply the answer from part a by the molar mass or the 169.42 moles by the molar mass? I'm just not tryna make a silly mistake.

Nancy Li 1C

Re: At what stage in your your work do you keep track of sig figs?

Postby Nancy Li 1C » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:21 pm

Typically, I don't round in the middle of my calculation and only round the final answer (if you wanted to round, I believe it's best to keep a few more digits than what's significant).
If there are two parts, I would write the answer with the correct amount of sigfigs for the first part and then use the more exact answer (169.42 in this case) for the second part. I may be wrong but usually, there is a tolerance for your answer so even if you used the rounded answer, you would probably be fine.

Mikayla 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Mikayla 2G » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:00 pm

When making a calculation, its best to use the most sig figs in solving as possible to get the most correct answer and then only round when you get the answer. For your example, you would use the 5 sig fig number in the solution for part B. Just in general, the more significant figures you can use the more precise your response will be.

ThomasL1L

Postby ThomasL1L » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:13 pm

I try and keep a consistent amount of significant figures throughout the problem so if I was given 3 significant figures in the beginning of the problem for instance 2.50 g of H₂O then I would divide that by the molar mass of H₂O with three significant figures 18.015 -> 18.02. I would maintain this consistency throughout the problem with my final answer also having three significant figures.

Veronica Larson- 1I

Postby Veronica Larson- 1I » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:37 pm

In general, I think it's best to keep a few more sig figs throughout the calculation than what is absolutely necessary so that the answer hasn't been thrown off by rounding multiple times. In this specific case, I'm guessing they'd probably accept either way, but I think it's best practice to be more precise when you can be.

Ashley Hiti 1K

Postby Ashley Hiti 1K » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:40 pm

Similar to what Mikayla said I think it is best to keep more sig figs than you need throughout the calculation to make sure that you do not round too early and end up with an inaccurate response due to rounding before you need to. After you finish calculation, you can then just round/take the final answer down to the amount of sig figs needed.

KatieFrancisco1F

Postby KatieFrancisco1F » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:01 pm

ThomasL2F wrote:I try and keep a consistent amount of significant figures throughout the problem so if I was given 3 significant figures in the beginning of the problem for instance 2.50 g of H₂O then I would divide that by the molar mass of H₂O with three significant figures 18.015 -> 18.02. I would maintain this consistency throughout the problem with my final answer also having three significant figures.

I feel that for the most accurate final answer you should not round throughout the problem. You should use numbers that are as accurate as possible in order to get the best final answer then round to the proper sig fig at the end.

Jiane_Beach_1D

Postby Jiane_Beach_1D » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Generally, it's best only to round your final answer to have a more accurate answer. If the question has two parts, it would probably be best to use non-rounded numbers to solve both parts instead of using the rounded number from part a to solve part b. This will also help avoid any confusion if the answers to part a and part b have a different number of sig figs.

Lauren Brotman 2F

Postby Lauren Brotman 2F » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:27 pm

I usually just used the stored answers my calculator gives me for each step. Then, in the final step round to the correct number of sig figs. I think if you round too much in every step, especially if there are many steps, your final answer might be slightly off.

Postby 905756606 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:43 pm

For calculations involving multiple steps, sig figs should be applied at the very end to the final answer. Personally, I also find it helpful to report intermediate results as a fraction or using "..." to ensure my working out is clear!

ThomasL1L

Postby ThomasL1L » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:18 pm

KatieFrancisco3E wrote:
ThomasL2F wrote:I try and keep a consistent amount of significant figures throughout the problem so if I was given 3 significant figures in the beginning of the problem for instance 2.50 g of H₂O then I would divide that by the molar mass of H₂O with three significant figures 18.015 -> 18.02. I would maintain this consistency throughout the problem with my final answer also having three significant figures.

I feel that for the most accurate final answer you should not round throughout the problem. You should use numbers that are as accurate as possible in order to get the best final answer then round to the proper sig fig at the end.

I’m convinced then, generally I would just use whatever numbers on appear on my calculator.

Maggie Clark

Postby Maggie Clark » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:25 pm

Round your final answer

Nicole Ton 3C

Postby Nicole Ton 3C » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:28 pm

I don't round my calculations or significant figures until the very end of my calculations. Rounding answers in the middle of calculations can be problematic especially if the calculations that you are doing have a lot of steps to them. If you round too much throughout the calculations, then your final answer will get more and more inaccurate. So, in reference to the scenario you posed, I would round to the correct number of significant figures when writing the answer to part a, but then use the unrounded version of that number when doing the calculation for part b so that my answer to part b is not thrown off by the rounding.

Katie Shi 1F

Postby Katie Shi 1F » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:51 pm

Personally, I like to wait until I get my final answer to round to the correct amount of sig figs. I feel like this guarantees you have the most accurate answers and makes it easier to compute on your calculator!

michaelcrisera

Postby michaelcrisera » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:05 pm

I would not round your calculations in the middle steps of a problem. I use the most precise values, often carrying higher amounts of sig figs throughout the problem and then round my final answer depending on the lowest number of sig figs given in the problem. If a question has two parts, I would round for sig figs in my final answer for the first part, but then use the unrounded value to continue the calculations in the second part.

Diego Gonzalez 1H

Postby Diego Gonzalez 1H » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:30 pm

Ideally, it would be useful to use exact values throughout your calculations. One way you could do this is by storing values on your calculator. I like to use exact numbers throughout my calculations to limit error and have the most precise answer as possible; it isn't until the final answer where I focus on sig figs.

Mason_Hoppe_1A

Postby Mason_Hoppe_1A » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:07 pm

As a couple people have said, I think it is definitely best to retain as many digits as possible until the end of the problem. The only issue with this is that it can be hard to keep track of the amount of significant figures you should have. Make sure that when new values are introduced to the calculations, you denote the significant figures of those values or keep them in mind as to not accidentally include too many (or too few) in your final answer.

Reece Fong 2k

Postby Reece Fong 2k » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 pm

I think the most important thing is that your final answer has the correct number of sig figs. You can round in the middle (but not too extreme like 36.5 to 37 because that could screw up your later calculations), but your final answer should just have the appropriate number of sig figs. Usually it's okay for your answer to be off by a couple decimal points from someone else's.

Daryl Gall 1E

Postby Daryl Gall 1E » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:59 pm

I think the stage in your work at which you use correct significant figures is in your final answer. I think it is best to keep a significant amount of figures throughout the problem as you are solving it as this will provide the most accurate number for your final answer. However, once you find your final answer, it should be reported with correct significant figures.

Erin Woolmore 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Erin Woolmore 1C » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:11 pm

I typically only round to the correct number of sig figs when I have my final answer. Rounding every value throughout the entire calculation can lead to significant inaccuracies.

Hope Galarneau 1A

Postby Hope Galarneau 1A » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:52 pm

I think that it's best to round your sig figs at the end when you have reached your final answer so that you don't run into any rounding errors. Even if there are two parts to a problem like you mentioned, I usually use the unrounded answer when doing further calculations for the further parts of the question so that the final answer does not have any rounding issues. Thus, I would round the answer to the correct number of sig figs for the first part, but then use the unrounded version when calculating further problems. Hope this helps!

Kirsten Yu 2K

Postby Kirsten Yu 2K » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:37 pm

Personally, I wait until I've solved the problem before rounding to the appropriate number of significant figures. I prefer to do my work this way because I don't have to worry about rounding too much and throwing off my final answer.

Amy Huynh 1B

Postby Amy Huynh 1B » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:39 pm

For me, I try to keep more digits throughout the calculation and then round at the last step to the correct number of sig figs just because I don't want the amount of times I round to completely mess up the answer.

Mahika Saoji 3K

Postby Mahika Saoji 3K » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:52 pm

When I am solving a problem, I keep the same amount (usually 3 to 4) sig figs throughout the whole problem until the very end when you have to calculate sig figs based off of the values in the question. It is important, though, that you keep a consistent number of sig figs otherwise you will have errors in your calculations and it will throw the whole problem off.

Sean Basu 2B

Postby Sean Basu 2B » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Ideally you wouldn't round until the very end (at which point you would just round your answer), but if you're working with extremely long numbers, do your calculations with at least 3 or 4 sig figs and then round your answer to the number of significant figures you need for the problem

LillianHarvey2C

Postby LillianHarvey2C » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:34 pm

I had wondered the same thing and so I actually asked my TA this question. He recommended that you don't round any solutions until the very end, since the more often you round your answers during the problem, the further away your answer will be from the actual amount.

Connor_Olsen_2K

Postby Connor_Olsen_2K » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 pm

Likely, you want to keep track of sig figs the whole time, but do not round the actual numbers. Leave them as is until you get the final answers and look at how many sig figs it would be and round then.

Jessica Berejikian

Postby Jessica Berejikian » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:14 pm

It is best to refrain from rounding until you calculate your final answer! To round the final answer, it is generally a good idea to round to either three sig figs or to find the measurement given in the problem with the lowest number of sig figs and match the number of sig figs.

JacksonWissing2G

Postby JacksonWissing2G » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:16 pm

Usually I’ll use a few more decimal places than I need for most of the problem, and only round for the specific amount of significant figures at the end.

Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby 105605391 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 pm

Typically I adjust my sig figs when I finish my calculations to match the lowest number of sig figs given in the question.

Edriana J Altea 2G

Postby Edriana J Altea 2G » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:38 pm

In most cases, it is best to count sig figs and round at the very end, specifically when you already have your answer. If you keep on rounding in the middle of calculation, it might mess up your final answer. Also keep in mind that you can round your final answer to match the sig figs in the original problem.

Arshaun Faraji 2H

Postby Arshaun Faraji 2H » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:41 pm

I've always been told to use the most exact value as possible throughout the calculation, and worry about sig figs only when i come to my final answer. This way, you are not rounding throughout the calculations and losing accuracy.

Santiago Chang 2K

Postby Santiago Chang 2K » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:55 pm

I wait to round off any numbers until after I have my final answer. Rounding too early can throw off your answer and potentially make a significant difference.

Abhinav Amanaganti 3K

Postby Abhinav Amanaganti 3K » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:20 pm

When showing work you always should write the values to their respective sig figs but use the exact values in your calculator so that your answer is both accurate and takes into account the sig figs (these should be considered from the start to the end and only round answer at the end).

Lucy Farnham 1G

Postby Lucy Farnham 1G » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:39 pm

I think the simplest way to keep track of sig figs is to do your work with as many as you can, and then round at the end. This will make the final answer the most accurate it can be, especially if you have to truncate many decimal places.

Postby 505706331 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:03 pm

Usually, I would try to not estimate/round my answers until the end of the problem where I get my final answer. However, sometimes when there are multiple parts, I would apply sig figs at the end of each part.

Postby 505706331 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Usually, I would try to not estimate/round my answers until the end of the problem where I get my final answer. However, sometimes when there are multiple parts, I would apply sig figs at the end of each part.

Jason Ho 2L

Postby Jason Ho 2L » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:07 pm

For me, I usually don't round or keep track of sig figs until the final solution. However, sometimes you have to round in the middle when doing multi-step problems and when that happens, I usually do 5-6 sig figs just so that my final answer is as close to the actual value as possible.

Naomi Christian 1E

Postby Naomi Christian 1E » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:11 am

I usually don't round or keep track of significant figures until my final answer. This ensures that my final answer is as accurate as possible.

Anna Hilger 3H

Postby Anna Hilger 3H » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:39 am

Hi,
I used to round at every step and then found that my answer wouldn't match the textbook. I asked my TA about this, and he said that you want to keep the most amount of digits until your final answer when you round to the correct number of significant figures.

Postby 905715668 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:31 am

I wouldn't recommend rounding in the middle of the problem.

Ruben Adamov 1E

Postby Ruben Adamov 1E » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:46 pm

For me, there have been a few times where my answer was off by quite a margin because I rounded off one or two sig figs in the beginning of the problem. I've asked around and people have said that keeping around 3-4 sig figs should get you a very close representation of the true answer. But once you've established how many sig figs you need, keep it at that, don't take off anymore in the middle of the problem.

Neha Mukund

Postby Neha Mukund » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:34 pm

I wouldn't round any numbers in between steps. I would only round at the very end of the problem when matching it to the proper amount of sig figs. This is would result in the most precise answer. Hope this helps!

tashyavakil 2K

Postby tashyavakil 2K » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:14 pm

Personally, I keep all values super-specific and unrounded up until I have my final answer. After that, I rework through the steps to figure out sigfigs.

Rio Gagnon 1G

Postby Rio Gagnon 1G » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 pm

I only round to the correct number of sig figs at the very end when reporting the answer. It is best to not round in the middle so that your final answer is as accurate as possible.
If there is an answer to be reported midway through, report that with the correct number of sig figs, but use the extended/unrounded version of that number to continue your later calculations.

Isabelle Kim 3E

Postby Isabelle Kim 3E » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that you should be rounding to whatever value at the very end of the calculation. Make sure you are consistent with the number of sig figs throughout your calculation though.

N Kanuri 2E

Postby N Kanuri 2E » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:40 pm

It's best to save rounding until the final step! For intermediate steps, I find it useful to use the most accurate values (so no rounding or cut off for sig figs). This is especially easy to do when you're comfortable using a calculator - whether that be storing values on scientific calculators or understanding how to perform operations on the last calculated answer. I hope this was helpful!

Julia Zahra

Postby Julia Zahra » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:40 pm

I usually don't round if possible until I get the answer.

Sean Sanders 1E

Postby Sean Sanders 1E » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:16 pm

I tend to wait until the very end of my work to round off sig figs. If the problem has multiple parts, I round to the appropriate number of sig figs at each answering stage, but I still keep a few left over when I continue my calculations for the next portion of the problem.

Sofi Ghasemzadeh 2G

Postby Sofi Ghasemzadeh 2G » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 pm

To ensure that the most accurate answer is attained, I wait until the result of the final calculation before I round. I keep as many sig figs possible until I have arrived at my final answer, and based on that, I use the number of sig figs indicated by the problem.

Sofi Ghasemzadeh 2G

Postby Sofi Ghasemzadeh 2G » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:52 pm

To ensure that the most accurate answer is attained, I wait until the result of the final calculation before I round and use the correct number of sig figs. I keep as many possible until I have arrived at my final answer, and based on that, I use the number of sig figs indicated by the problem.

Shannon Clark 1F

Postby Shannon Clark 1F » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 pm

Normally, I round using sig figs at the very end of the calculations! In the case of the two part example you brought up, I would round the answer at the end of part a, but then to start calculations on part b, I typically will use the unrounded number to start and then round the final answer of part b to the correct number of sig figs!

Abigail Tran 14a

Postby Abigail Tran 14a » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:00 pm

I think in part B you would use 169.42 moles instead of just 169 so that your answer is as accurate as possible and then you would do sigfigs at the very end.

Trisha Badjatia 2L

Postby Trisha Badjatia 2L » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:18 pm

You shouldn't round your numbers in the middle of calculations– only round the final answer to the correct number of sig figs. If there are two parts to a question, then round the final answer for the first part (i.e., 169 moles) but use the unrounded number for continuing calculations in the second part of the question (i.e., 169.42 moles).

Emily2J

Postby Emily2J » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:22 pm

I do not worry about sig figs until I reach my final answer. Once I have my answer I will look at the given numbers, obtain sig figs from those, then apply them to my answer. This gives you the most accurate answer.

Sally_Luo_3F

Postby Sally_Luo_3F » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:51 am

Generally, I look at the sigfig that is in the question. During the calculation process, I keep extra decimal places for accuracy in the data. Then, for my final answer, I would apply the sigfig from the question to the answer.

Benicio Rivera 1F

Postby Benicio Rivera 1F » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 am

I try to keep my numbers as exact as possible till the very end. It gives you a more precise answer so you should try to round your answer and nothing else as best you can.

Maggie Clark

Postby Maggie Clark » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:28 am

I would not round anything during calculations then figure out your sig figs only for the final answer.

Morgan Micallef 1A

Postby Morgan Micallef 1A » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:31 am

I usually keep my full unrounded answers throughout the problem and state my final answer with the correct number of significant figures

Re: At what stage in your your work do you keep track of sig figs?  [ENDORSED]

Postby 205705413 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:37 am

Like everyone, I also do not round my numbers until I get the final answer. I'll take sig figs into consideration at the very end of my calculations.

Neha Jonnalagadda 2D

Postby Neha Jonnalagadda 2D » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:59 pm

What I did in high school, and what seems to be working even here, is rounding my final answer based on the number of sig figs I think I need. I think that using sig figs earlier in the problem than necessary usually gets rid of some of the accuracy in the answer and it is best to round them at the end.

Chris Oh 2I

Postby Chris Oh 2I » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:39 pm

I try to keep the numbers as specific as I can, and only when trying to write out the final answer do I go back to the original question and look at how many sig figs are used (to which I would match up the number of sig figs). It's also important to keep in mind that when converting units, you should not ever let the conversion factors become the limiting number of sig figs!

Sharlene Duong 3E

Postby Sharlene Duong 3E » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:43 pm

What I like to do is keep my calculations in my calculator, so I never round off until I get to my final answer. I will usually write down an approximation of each step of my answer on my paper in order to save time, but when I actually do the calculations I just use the full numbers from my calculator in order to get the most accurate answer as possible. Once I get to the final answer, I will consider sig figs based on the given information in the problem.

austinchun

Postby austinchun » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:45 pm

Hello! To get the most accurate answer possible, I wouldn't round sig figs until the absolute end of your calculation. When dealing with small values, if you round too much and too early, theres a possibility that you can get a different answer than the answer key. I would recommend that it is best to only round sig figs at the very end.

Carlie_Dorostkar_1A

Postby Carlie_Dorostkar_1A » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:57 pm

It is more accurate to round with sig figs in mind at the end. It is helpful to keep the same number of sig figs after each calculation so you have the correct amount in the end.

Maia Holmes Kueny 1C

Postby Maia Holmes Kueny 1C » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:07 am

The end. The more rounding, the less accurate.

Azlyn Hernandez 2E

Postby Azlyn Hernandez 2E » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:33 pm

make sure to notes sig figs when using unit conversions. Your end result should match the observed measurements and not those of the conversion factor.

Postby 805909756 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:13 pm

It is best to keep track of sig figs just in the final answer of your work. Keep as many sig figs as possible prior to the final answer being found so that the final answer is as accurate as possible. For example, if the numbers reach 5 or 6 sig figs partway through the work, continue to use the entire value as you continue the problem. The final answer could then be rounded to the necessary amount of sig figs for the answer (i.e., 2 or 3).

Return to “Significant Figures”