Significant figures requirement

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Significant figures requirement

Postby 805601399 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:05 pm

Is there a specific number of significant figures that we will always adhere to in this class? Or does it change based on the numbers given in the question? If it does change, then do we use the largest number of significant figures present or the smallest?

Lyndon Cope 2D

Re: Significant figures requirement

Postby Lyndon Cope 2D » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:07 pm

Im not sure if it counts, for the Achieve homework I always answered using the correct number of sig figs which changes each problem. The general rule of thumb is to use the lowest amount of sig figs used in your calculations. For example if you calculated (152.5*24)/16.3 your answer should be to two sig figs.

Vy Le 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Vy Le 1G » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Hello,

There is no specific number we always adhere to in any class because each situation requires a different level of specificity. For instance, working with smaller units such as quantum mechanics may require more significant digits since it requires higher precision. However, a rule my previous high school chemistry teacher taught me was to always use the smallest amount of significant figures in the question. This may be tricky if the question phrases with trailing zeros so make sure to count those even if you don't use it to calculate!

Let me know if you need any further help!

Abhinav Amanaganti 3K

Postby Abhinav Amanaganti 3K » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:07 pm

The sig figs required in a problem will always be related to the number of sig figs in the values being used in a problem. For example, if you are using molar mass from a periodic table to solve a problem (assuming all the other values are EXACT values, which means you disregard them for sig figs), you would use 4 sig figs for multiplication/division, or take sig figs to 2 decimal places for addition/substraction.

Hannah Carsey 1B

Postby Hannah Carsey 1B » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:21 pm

In terms of significant figures, you use the lowest amount of sig figs determined by the terms of the given values in a question for your final answer’s sig figs. Other than that, it is best to not round to sig figs until after you have completed the problem because rounding the values calculated in intermediate / middle steps might make your final answer value less accurate, as you want to calculate the most accurate final answer value.

BriannaDis2C

Postby BriannaDis2C » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:37 pm

I believed that for this class, the amount of significant figures would be dependent on the problem. For example if your answer for a problem was 0.0020, there would be 2 significant figures but if your answer was 30100, there would be 3 significant figures. It really depends on the question.

Lucy Farnham 1G

Postby Lucy Farnham 1G » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Technically, the correct number of sig figs is different for each problem. So unless stated otherwise, you should use the correct amount of sig figs that the answer needs. However, if the question asks you to round to a certain amount of decimal places, it would be best to do that.

Ainsley DeMuth 1H

Postby Ainsley DeMuth 1H » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:00 pm

I have attended a couple different tutoring/step-up sessions with Dr Lavelle's UA's and they asked us to give our answers with the amount of Sig Figs used in the problem. For example, if three sig figs are given in the problem, I think it would be fair to give your answer in three sig figs. In these sessions, the UA's have also said the tests are often multiple choice so the sig figs will be predetermined. This is not confirmed by Dr Lavelle, but just information I have been given by the UA's that work with him.

Coraly De Leon

Postby Coraly De Leon » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi,

I don't think so, in such cases, I'm pretty sure the question will ask to round to a certain amount of sig. figs.

Justin_Choo_3J
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby Justin_Choo_3J » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:54 pm

It is a general rule of thumb that one must use the least number of significant figures present in any number in the problem to display the solution. To exemplify, if the number with the least number of sig figs in a certain problem was 2 (e.g., 4.3 x 10^2), the final answer would have to reflect 2 sig figs.

Neha Mukund

Postby Neha Mukund » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:28 pm

I believe you adhere to the same amount of sig figs as the given number in the problem with the least amount of sig figs. I would round your final answer to the proper amount of sig figs at the very end of the problem.

Simone Byun 1F

Postby Simone Byun 1F » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:42 pm

When using significant figures, always refer to what's been given in the problem rather than a rule of thumb. From there, always use the least significant digits presented in the problem. You can always round to less places, but it would not make sense to add places (tens, hundreds, thousandths, etc).

Alexis DeHorta 2A

Postby Alexis DeHorta 2A » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:53 pm

In terms of significant figures, you always want to take into account the smallest amount of significant figures a number will have in an equation.

For example,
3.0m x 1.45678m = 4.37034 = 4.4 m^2

Why is this 4.4m^2 instead of 4.37034m or 4.37 m ? Looking at the 3.0, we can see there are 2 significant figures. We take the lowest number in order to show how precise a number is. Otherwise, we would be compromising what the number is actually representing.
It is important to note that in most cases leading zeros and trailing 0's often do not count as significant figures unless there's a decimal.

Here are few more examples:
1) 1234 = 4 significant figures = nonzero numbers are
2) 102 = 3 significant figures = the zeros is in-between two nonzero numbers
3) 8.00 = 3 significant figures = because there is a decimal
4) 0.001 = 1 significant figure = leading zeros
5) 300 = 1 significant figures = because of trailing zeros
6) 1.222200000 = 10 significant figures = because of decimal

Talia Tam 3L

Postby Talia Tam 3L » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:27 pm

You use the lowest number of sig figs given by the problem, so it varies from question to question.

Carmen Kim 3I

Postby Carmen Kim 3I » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:00 pm

I believe there is no specific number of significant figures that we will adhere to in this class. However, I learned that we should use the lowest amount of significant figures for the final answers. Also, we should not be doing the roundings in the middle of the process of getting the final answer because it could make a huge change in the final answer.

Joseph Lee

Postby Joseph Lee » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:04 pm

Alexis DeHorta 2A wrote:In terms of significant figures, you always want to take into account the smallest amount of significant figures a number will have in an equation.

For example,
3.0m x 1.45678m = 4.37034 = 4.4 m^2

Why is this 4.4m^2 instead of 4.37034m or 4.37 m ? Looking at the 3.0, we can see there are 2 significant figures. We take the lowest number in order to show how precise a number is. Otherwise, we would be compromising what the number is actually representing.
It is important to note that in most cases leading zeros and trailing 0's often do not count as significant figures unless there's a decimal.

Here are few more examples:
1) 1234 = 4 significant figures = nonzero numbers are
2) 102 = 3 significant figures = the zeros is in-between two nonzero numbers
3) 8.00 = 3 significant figures = because there is a decimal
4) 0.001 = 1 significant figure = leading zeros
5) 300 = 1 significant figures = because of trailing zeros
6) 1.222200000 = 10 significant figures = because of decimal

Thanks Alexis! This was really helpful. I took basic high school chemistry so I didn't really go into sig figs that much, so it's really cool that you took the time out of your day to explain it thoroughly like you did. So just to make sure, you always are supposed to use the smallest amount of sig figs in any given example? Also, for constants, are we allowed to round (like for the speed of light use 3 instead of 2.998)?

Thanks for the explanation again though!

Shreya Arcot 3K

Postby Shreya Arcot 3K » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:55 pm

The number of significant figures that need to be in our answer depends on the question; you want to use the lowest amount of sig figs given in the question. For example, given 5.0 x 1.2345, the answer would need two sig figs.

Sam Forster 2J

Postby Sam Forster 2J » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:35 pm

I believe it changes based on the question. If within the question the lowest amount of significant figures is two, use two significant figures in your answer, if it is three use three for your answer and so on and so forth. I don't believe that there should be a question with only one significant figure but if there is, you should use one sigfig in your answer.

Sunny Hou 2I

Postby Sunny Hou 2I » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:52 pm

Hi! In general you would follow along the significant figures given in the question, and the sig figs of your answer would follow the the number with the least amount of sig figs in the question, (it is usually 3 sig figs though). So if you have 1.00 and 2.156 in your question, you would leave answers to 3 sig figs because 1.00 has the least amount which is three in this case.

Rebekah Jung 1C

Postby Rebekah Jung 1C » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:32 pm

The least number of significant figures given in a problem is used. In regards to multiplication and division, the least number of sig figs overall are used whereas in adding and subtracting the least number of decimal places is considered for sig figs. Also, I usually do not round in intermediate steps in order to keep the answer as accurate as possible.

Neha Jonnalagadda 2D

Postby Neha Jonnalagadda 2D » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Generally, you should use the lowest number of significant figures that were used in your calculations. The actual number of sig figs depends on the problem though and should be a case by case scenario, especially with the Achieve homework.

Maia Holmes Kueny 1C

Postby Maia Holmes Kueny 1C » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:06 am

No. Do the lowest number of sig figs that are given in the problem.

AndreyCastellanos 3H

Postby AndreyCastellanos 3H » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:15 am

The sig figs required will always be the number of sig figs in the values being used in the problem

Return to “Significant Figures”