Bond/Functional Group Priority

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tram Ha 3I

Bond/Functional Group Priority

Postby Tram Ha 3I » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:06 pm

Do double and triple bonds have higher priority than functional groups, or is it the other way around? It seemed like bonds had priority (e.g. in 3-iodobutene), but in (E)-3-Chloro-4-fluoro-7-methyloct-3-en-5-yne the Cl and F are on opposite sides of the double bond, and the E- therefore indicates the isomer is trans-. This would mean the functional groups get priority, since there is a triple bond on the same side as the Cl (which has a higher atomic number than F and therefore a higher priority), and if the triple bond was given priority (in the same way that the double bond was given priority in the 3-Iodobutene example), then the isomer would be considered cis-.
Basically I want to know why functional groups are given priority sometimes and why double/triple bonds are given priority other times. Are there specific rules to follow when it comes to this? Thanks.

Gianna Raggio 2k

Re: Bond/Functional Group Priority

Postby Gianna Raggio 2k » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:23 pm

I think the priority is given to whichever comes first on the largest carbon chain containing a functional group. If both are the same distance, the triple bond has priority over the double bond.

hope that answers your question!

Return to “*Haloalkenes”