More than one functional group

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joe Zaarour 2L

More than one functional group

Postby Joe Zaarour 2L » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 pm

On the final, would we get more than one functional group? If so, what is the process to name a molecule with more than one functional group?

Bryan Lau 3H

Re: More than one functional group

Postby Bryan Lau 3H » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:04 am

Hey Joseph! We have to know how to name a molecule with a functional group, double/triple bond, and a substituent. To answer your question, my TA said we won't be asked to name more than one functional group, unless you count double/triple bonds as another functional group.

Helen Meng 2J

Postby Helen Meng 2J » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:43 pm

My TA actually said that we should know how to name molecules with two functional groups, or at least be able to recognize it because question 9B on the Winter 2015 practice final asks us to draw the molecules 1,3,4,5,6-pentahydroxy-2-hexanone and 3-hydroxypentanoic acid. These both have two functional groups each, so our TA said that we should learn to recognize both priority and functional groups. He listed them out for us, so I'll type them out here for you in order of decreasing priority.

Functional Group - Naming process when it is not the highest priority functional group
Carboxylic acid - Carboxy
Ester - Alkoxycarbonyl
Amide - Amido
Nitrile - Cyano
Aldehyde - Formyl (-CH=O)
Ketone - Oxo (=O)
Alcohol - Hydroxy
Amine - Amino
Alkene - Alkenyl
Alkyne - Alkynyl
Alkane - Alkyl
Ether - Alkoxy
Alkyl Halide - Halo

So in this case, Carboxylic Acid has the highest priority and Alkyl Halide has the lowest priority. I think my TA also posts his section slides, so you can also look for those if you want a further explanation. Hopefully this helps though!

JasmineChavez 1E

Postby JasmineChavez 1E » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Helen Meng 2J wrote:My TA actually said that we should know how to name molecules with two functional groups, or at least be able to recognize it because question 9B on the Winter 2015 practice final asks us to draw the molecules 1,3,4,5,6-pentahydroxy-2-hexanone and 3-hydroxypentanoic acid. These both have two functional groups each, so our TA said that we should learn to recognize both priority and functional groups. He listed them out for us, so I'll type them out here for you in order of decreasing priority.

Functional Group - Naming process when it is not the highest priority functional group
Carboxylic acid - Carboxy
Ester - Alkoxycarbonyl
Amide - Amido
Nitrile - Cyano
Aldehyde - Formyl (-CH=O)
Ketone - Oxo (=O)
Alcohol - Hydroxy
Amine - Amino
Alkene - Alkenyl
Alkyne - Alkynyl
Alkane - Alkyl
Ether - Alkoxy
Alkyl Halide - Halo

So in this case, Carboxylic Acid has the highest priority and Alkyl Halide has the lowest priority. I think my TA also posts his section slides, so you can also look for those if you want a further explanation. Hopefully this helps though!

Super helpful post! Thanks so much. Where are these slides posted?

Return to “*Alcohols”