Alcohol Vs Hydroxy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jason Zhang 2B

Alcohol Vs Hydroxy

Postby Jason Zhang 2B » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:00 pm

When doing IUPAC naming, how do we decide between using alcohol or hydroxy since they are both OH?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: Alcohol Vs Hydroxy

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:20 pm

Hydroxy is used when there are two or more functional groups in the molecule. When there is an alcohol plus another functional group, instead of the ending being -ol, we note the presence of an alcohol by using hydroxy-. When the alcohol is the only functional group in the molecule, we denote it with the -ol ending.

Parsia Vazirnia 2L

Re: Alcohol Vs Hydroxy

Postby Parsia Vazirnia 2L » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:Hydroxy is used when there are two or more functional groups in the molecule. When there is an alcohol plus another functional group, instead of the ending being -ol, we note the presence of an alcohol by using hydroxy-. When the alcohol is the only functional group in the molecule, we denote it with the -ol ending.

For question 2.20 in the green book it says the answer is 2-metyhlphenol or o-cresol which we have not learned so I looked up alternative names online and I found 1-hydroxy-2-methylbenzene. I do not understand why we use hydroxy instead of ol because I cant distinguish the other functional group. I'm assuming we omit this one.

Return to “*Alcohols”