difference between hydroxy and alcohol

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

danny_nguyen_3C

difference between hydroxy and alcohol

Postby danny_nguyen_3C » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:27 pm

How do we distinguish the difference between a hydroxy and alcohol functional group when both are OH?

Angela To 2B

Re: difference between hydroxy and alcohol

Postby Angela To 2B » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm

I think it's that alcohols are specifically R-OH while hydroxyl groups can be other things that aren't carbon chains. For example water (H-OH)! (Or NaOH and KOH, etc.) We didn't cover this in class, but in regards to naming, we've been adding the suffix -ol to name molecules with an alcohol functional group. However, for compounds with multiple functional groups, we would first identify the functional group with the highest priority and then name the other functional groups as substituents. So sometimes we may name the alcohol functional group with the prefix hydroxy- if another functional group has a higher priority than alcohol. That is, we name the alcohol functional group with the prefix hydroxy- when other functional groups have a higher priority and get the suffix name. I hope this helps!

AndrewM2G

Re: difference between hydroxy and alcohol

Postby AndrewM2G » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm

I think it has to do with where the OH is attached. The I think OH on a main carbon is an alcohol. EG: Carboxylic acid has an OH, but also has another O attached to the C.

Return to “*Alcohols”