Why F, Cl, Br, I are electrophiles?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 418 times

Why F, Cl, Br, I are electrophiles?

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Question: Can we say that F, CL, Br and I while neutral are electrophile because of their tendency to want another electron in order to complete their octet?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 418 times

Re: Why F, Cl, Br, I are electrophiles?

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Answer: Yes. The halides have some of the highest electronegativities due to their want to fill their valence shell.

Rachel Lipman

Postby Rachel Lipman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:04 pm

May you further elaborate on what electrophiles are and what are the determining factors?

Kevin Y Zhang

Postby Kevin Y Zhang » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi, to answer your question, electronegativity determines whether an element is considered an electrophile. Usually the elements with high electronegativity (i.e. Br, I, F) are considered electrophiles since they have a high tendency to accept electrons. Since they all have 7 electrons in their outer valence electron shell, all they need to do is accept one electron to reach a balanced state of 8 electrons. Therefore, they have a high likelihood of accepting electrons. In other words, electrophiles are "electron lovers". They love to accept electrons in order to reach that balanced state. Usually they are the elements at the second to farthest right column of the periodic table. Noble gases have already reached the balanced state so they are unwilling to accept electrons and leave their most stable state. Therefore they have no electronegativity and cannot be considered electrophiles.

Rachel Lipman

Postby Rachel Lipman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Thank you so much for the clarification.

Return to “*Electrophiles”