Nucleophile vs Electrophile

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ajith Raja 2L

Nucleophile vs Electrophile

Postby Ajith Raja 2L » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:17 pm

I had a question on identifying if something was an electrophile or a nucleophile. Doesn't it depend on what the molecule is surrounded by rather than the molecule itself? Because couldn't a molecule be a nucleophile but if it is surrounded by different molecules it could be an electrophile? Thank you.

Christine_Mavilian_3E

Re: Nucleophile vs Electrophile

Postby Christine_Mavilian_3E » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:31 pm

Generally speaking, you can identify whether something is a nucleophile or electrophile simply when the molecule is by itself. For instance, Cl- is a nucleophile while neutral Cl is an electrophile. However, if you combine molecules to form a compound, the compound can be a nucleophile or electrophile regardless of what the molecule is by itself. For instance, Cl- is a nucleophile but AlCl3 is an electrophile.

I hope this answers your question!

DanielaWong_2G

Postby DanielaWong_2G » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:13 pm

I think it has to do with whether or not the molecule has electrons that are readily available. If it does, it would be considered a nucleophile

Michael Lesgart 1H

Postby Michael Lesgart 1H » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Also, it is useful to note electronegativity in a molecule that can cause it to become an electrophile. For example, CO2 is an electrophile because of the dipole moments created by the negative charge of the O with the positive charge of the C, and the electronegativity of the Oxygens cause the Carbon to become more positive in charge, thus making CO2 an electrophile.

Amber Duong 1B

Postby Amber Duong 1B » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Generally, a nucleophile is a molecule that has lone pairs to donate and can be neutral or negatively charged (more electronegative). On the other hand, electrophiles want to have a complete set of 8 valence electrons and are usually neutral or positively charged (less electronegative). The surroundings of a molecule dictate whether the electrons favor one molecule over another due to differences in electronegativity.

Samuel_Vydro_1I

Postby Samuel_Vydro_1I » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Nucleophile is simply a fancy way of saying -- molecule that has a lone pair to bond with a molecule that needs an electron. Electrophile is a fancy way of saying-- molecule that needs an electron. Cl to Cl- is something you can remember from 14a

kristinalaudis3e
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby kristinalaudis3e » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:22 pm

nucleophiles can donate lone pairs while electrophiles want to gain an electron

Tara Cumiskey 3K

Postby Tara Cumiskey 3K » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:46 pm

I think that you look at the molecule itself and it’s electrons, unless it is specified that you look at the compound.

Return to “*Electrophiles”