Lewis Structure vs Resonance Structure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RichardValdez1L

Lewis Structure vs Resonance Structure

Postby RichardValdez1L » Sat May 12, 2018 1:26 pm

What is the conceptual difference between a Lewis Structure and a Resonance Structure?

Eli Esagoff_1I

Re: Lewis Structure vs Resonance Structure

Postby Eli Esagoff_1I » Sat May 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Resonance structures are just different lewis structures. Lewis structures are the individual structures within the resonance structures. They are not two different things, they are integrated together.

sharonvivianv

Postby sharonvivianv » Sun May 13, 2018 12:13 am

A resonance structure is a version of a lewis structure.

Amir Akhavan 1E

Postby Amir Akhavan 1E » Sun May 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Resonance structures are lewis structures which can have more than one possibility of forming the structure. An example of this would be by using different locations for double bonds for a structure.

AnnaYan_1l
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby AnnaYan_1l » Sun May 13, 2018 1:59 pm

One way to think of it is this:

Lewis structures are used to show how a molecule may look. However, when you draw a single Lewis structure, you may not be showing all of the possibilities (a double bond could be somewhere else, etc.). So, the Lewis structure you drew would be just a "generalized" version. Resonance structures are Lewis structures that show multiple ways one molecule could be configured (so there might be 3 resonance structures for one molecule, instead of just a single Lewis structure that is overgeneralized/correct for only some situations). Since electrons are not just in one spot, a a molecule in nature can be a resonance hybrid.

I found this image online. I think it does a good job of explaining things. The first three Lewis structures are all Lewis structures that show a single molecule (so they are resonance structures). The last structure shows how structures can be expressed when they are a resonance hybrid.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 1.56.33 PM.png

Ashley Martinez 1G

Postby Ashley Martinez 1G » Sun May 13, 2018 9:00 pm

I think resonance structures also give a better understanding of a molecule's stability. My PLF mentioned that a molecule with many resonance structures has greater stability and is therefore less reactive than a molecule that has fewer or no resonance structures.

fara valdez

Postby fara valdez » Sun May 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Are we required to use both? Or are we allowed to choose?

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”