How do Resonance Structures Work?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Myles Chang 1B

How do Resonance Structures Work?

Postby Myles Chang 1B » Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Hello!
I was a bit confused on how resonance structures work. Dr. Lavelle mentioned in class that the real structure of an element is not any of the resonance structures, but rather is an average of them. How does that work? How can one electron be spread across multiple, incomplete orbitals?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: How do Resonance Structures Work?

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun May 13, 2018 10:02 pm

They actually are "delocalized" over multiple orbitals. You will see this more clearly in upcoming lectures or in future classes when discussing pi bonds.

Gianna Graziano 1A

Postby Gianna Graziano 1A » Tue May 15, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Myles,
I believe that resonance structures are just alternative forms of an acceptable Lewis Structure. Since a molecule can be represented in many ways, the actual way would be a combination of the two. Since bonding can not be expressed in one way, the resonance structure shows that electrons are actually delocalized.

Jennifer Ma 1G

Postby Jennifer Ma 1G » Tue May 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Although all resonance structures are acceptable forms of a Lewis structure, you would need to draw out all the possible resonance structure (if asked to), and indicate that they are of resonance by a double ended arrow: <->

Daniel Cho Section 1H

Postby Daniel Cho Section 1H » Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 am

A usual trend in Resonance particularly with compounds has a neutral is that there are two elements that has opposing formal charges such as +1 and -1. If you see that with a compound with a double bond that is a good indicator that the compound can be represented in resonance.

I hope this helps. Please correct me in places where I might be wrong.

Return to “Resonance Structures”