Bond Strength/Bond Type

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Gabi Landes 1-H

Bond Strength/Bond Type

Postby Gabi Landes 1-H » Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 pm

I understand the difference between sigma and pi bonds, however in terms of bond strength I get confused.

Sigma bonds are in general more difficult to break because the nuclei have a strong hold on the e-... Yet we are taught single bonds are weaker than double bonds?

Is that just because a single, or sigma bond, only needs to be broken once? Where as a double, or some kind of Pi bond, can be broken down until it breaks the sigma?

Maybe I am just missing something.

Garrett Dahn 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Bond Strength/Bond Type

Postby Garrett Dahn 1I » Sun May 27, 2018 11:41 pm

Hey Gabi--

I think the main difference between sigma and pi bonds has to do not so much with their strength as their orientation and structure. Sigma bonds are more difficult to break not because they are necessarily stronger bonds, but because they are situate atoms in a way which allows the two atoms to move independently without snapping the bond. Pi bonds are broken more easily, likewise, not because they are necessarily weaker, but because its structure doesn't allow the attached atoms to move independently without snapping the bond. The idea here, I think, is more about structure than it is about strength, as single bonds remain weaker than double bonds which are in turn weaker than triple bonds.

I hope this helps!

Jada Larson 1F

Postby Jada Larson 1F » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:58 pm

I am slightly confused by the previous explanation, which implies that the structure of sigma bonds make them harder to break. It doesn't make sense because single bonds (with a single sigma bond) are weaker than double bonds (with both a sigma bond and pi bond).

Could someone explain the relationship between bond strength and bond type?

fara valdez

Postby fara valdez » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Return to “Sigma & Pi Bonds”