Conjugate Acids/Bases

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KC Navarro_1H

Conjugate Acids/Bases

Postby KC Navarro_1H » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:32 pm

If you determine a acid/base in a reaction based on whether or not it gains or loses an H+ proton, the conjugate acid/base is the opposite of the reactant acid/base and if the conjugate acid/base was added with water, you'd get back the original acid/base? Is this correct? Does anyone have any tips to point out conjugate acids/bases?

Thank you!

Miya Lopez 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Conjugate Acids/Bases

Postby Miya Lopez 1I » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:59 am

I believe it is the opposite on the other side of the reaction. Attached is a picture of my worksheet from discussion. So from the image, I think HCl is a Bronsted acid and its conjugate base is Cl-. H2O is a Bronsted Base in this reaction and its conjugate acid is H3O+ I'm not sure if I am exactly answering your question, sorry if I am not. But hope this helps :)

IMG_1645.JPG
Conjugate Acids/Bases

NatalieSDis1A

Postby NatalieSDis1A » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 am

A conjugate base is the leftover after an acid donates a proton. A conjugate acid is what is formed when a base accepts a proton. For example the conjugate base of HCO3- is CO3- because the acid HCO3- lost a proton. So that's how I point them out. I believe you are correct about the water part because if we were to add CO3- to water we would would get the acid back because CO3- would act as base.

Allen Chen 1J

Postby Allen Chen 1J » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:16 pm

I believe the conjugate acid and bases are on opposite sides of the reaction, as the conjugate acid becomes the conjugate base and vice versa

sylvie_1D

Postby sylvie_1D » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:23 pm

The way I like to think about it is that in the reactants side of a chemical reaction, the acid is what gives it's H+away and the base is what will receive the H+. Though on the products side, it's the product that receives the H+ that is the conjugate acid ( it would have been the base on the reactant side) and the product that gets it's H+ taken away from ( it would have been the acid on the reactant side) is the conjugate base.

Rummel Requerme 1E

Postby Rummel Requerme 1E » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:16 pm

sylvie_1D wrote:The way I like to think about it is that in the reactants side of a chemical reaction, the acid is what gives it's H+away and the base is what will receive the H+. Though on the products side, it's the product that receives the H+ that is the conjugate acid ( it would have been the base on the reactant side) and the product that gets it's H+ taken away from ( it would have been the acid on the reactant side) is the conjugate base.

I agree with this. This is how my Chemistry taught me this in high school and doesn't seem to be flawed so far.

Vivian Gonzalez 1A

Postby Vivian Gonzalez 1A » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Can anyone explain in more detail what a conjugate base and acid are and how to determine whether a molecule is a conjugate base or acid?

Odalys Cuevas 1C

Postby Odalys Cuevas 1C » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:26 pm

What I heard was that a conjugate acid is when a proton is added (H+) and the conjugate base is when the proton is taken away (H+).

for example:

HCl + H2O--->H3O(+) + Cl(-)
- the HCl is the acid and Cl is the conjugate base since the H was taken away
- H2O is the base and the H3O is the conjugate acid since an H was added

Mariah Guerrero 1J

Postby Mariah Guerrero 1J » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Did we cover this in class?

Return to “Conjugate Acids & Bases”