Molarity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Parth Mungra

Molarity

Postby Parth Mungra » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:59 pm

I was reading through the section on Molarity (G). The textbook stated something about "we use molarity of solute, not molarity of solution." I do not really understand this because I thought molarity was the same for both. Can someone help explain the difference?
Thanks

Kate_Santoso_4F

Re: Molarity

Postby Kate_Santoso_4F » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:05 pm

The molar concentration is called the "molarity" and its formally known as the "amount of substance concentration." We use moles of solute and the volume of the solution to find the concentration, or molarity of a solution. Moles of solute are used to find the molarity of a solution.

caseygilles 1E

Postby caseygilles 1E » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Molarity is the moles of solute per volume of solution. I think the textbook is trying to say that with molarity we are concerned more with how much solute and solution there is, but not how much solvent there is.

Swetha Ampabathina1I

Postby Swetha Ampabathina1I » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:09 pm

The volume is measured after you add the solute in the solvent and I think when they said molarity the want to know the concentration of the solute that you have within your solution. For example, it would ask you what is the concentration of NaCl is in a solution, they want to know how heavily concentrated the NaCl is in the solution not, for example, how concentrated the solution is by the solvent.

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”