Balancing reactions tips

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

longjump

Balancing reactions tips

Postby longjump » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks for solving balancing reaction questions? Writing the numbers out and calculating every guess works eventually but I feel like there is a faster way.

Nicole Lee 4E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Balancing reactions tips

Postby Nicole Lee 4E » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 pm

I try to balance all other elements before balancing oxygen and hydrogen. If there are polyatomic ions within the problem, I balance those first, treating them as one unit.

Catherine Kim 3K

Postby Catherine Kim 3K » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:33 pm

A tip that I use is to first balance the element that occurs the least.

KarlaArevalo2F

Postby KarlaArevalo2F » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 pm

Something I always do when balancing is I always write down each element on both the reactant and product sides along with the amount of each there is and add a coefficient accordingly to balance both sides. Image added just in case wording isn't clear.
balancing equations tip.JPG

Jasmine Chow 1F

Postby Jasmine Chow 1F » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 pm

When I balance equations I like to write the number of elements on both sides so I can see everything visually.

B2O3+Mg ------> MgO+B

B:2 B:1
O:3 O:1
Mg:1 Mg:1

Then you can see where to balance everything out.

Phoebe Chen 4I

Postby Phoebe Chen 4I » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm

You could draw a table of the different atoms and have a column for reactants and products. Then make sure that they equal the same amount. Separate the individual atoms instead of trying to visualize them as molecules.

Abhi4F

Postby Abhi4F » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:22 am

I tend to find the element that occurs the least and balancing from there as it makes the process way easier.

Minsub Lee 3E

Postby Minsub Lee 3E » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 am

I will usually check to see which elements do not need balancing. Then I will start to balance the element that occurs the least. If adding a stoichiometric coefficient causes another element in that same molecule to be unbalanced, I would balance that. I usually just do that step-by-step.

Arshia Ramesh 1G

Postby Arshia Ramesh 1G » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 pm

I usually start by writing all of the coefficients on the side of the reaction that they occur.
Then I continue balancing both sides starting with the element in the least amount.

Akhil Paladugu 3G

Postby Akhil Paladugu 3G » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:06 am

Also when you are balancing an equation that involves diatomic molecules, such as O2 and you need an odd number of Oxygens on one side, something that has worked for me is to keep fractional coefficients until the equation has the same number of moles of each element on each side, and then multiply by a common denominator to create all whole number coefficients.

Lauren Huang 1H

Postby Lauren Huang 1H » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:29 am

Make sure to double check your answer before you move on! Sometimes I make a couple of arithmetic mistakes without knowing, so make sure you check that both sides have the same number of elements.

Xingzheng Sun 2K

Postby Xingzheng Sun 2K » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:01 am

From my experiences, I usually start with the element that is the least common to the most common or easiest. By meaning the easiest, for example, H2 can be the one because it will be balanced easily so that I leave it for the latest. After you have the fixed number of the least common element, try to make the other elements in the same compound equal.

Sona Hakobyan 3J

Postby Sona Hakobyan 3J » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:18 am

I start with whichever element is in the equation the least. Also I tend to do single elements last for example O2 or H2. This way you get everything out the way and however many O's or H's there turn out to be in the different products or reactants, it wont matter because we can account for them without changing the equation again using our single element. For example if it wasn't a single element and it was rather SO4, once we apply the coeffecient, it would also affect the S which might cause us to restart the balancing process.

Elena Saab 4A

Postby Elena Saab 4A » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 am

What helps me the most is to first balance the elements that occur the least, and then I move on to elements other than Oxygen and Hydrogen. I save elements that are not combined with anything other than itself for last!

Abby De La Merced 3F

Postby Abby De La Merced 3F » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:48 am

My TA advised that your best bet with balancing equations properly and efficiently was to alway balance the single element last as its the easiest to manipulate when all the other parts of the balancing are done. And start with the least occurring element too.

annaspain

Postby annaspain » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 pm

I find it much easier to make sure my work is correct when I can have clear visuals to make sure everything is balanced. I usually keep a running tally while I'm balancing my equation for each individual element, which makes the process much easier to keep track of for more complex equations.

RoopshaChatterjee 1G

Postby RoopshaChatterjee 1G » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:03 pm

When balancing equations I find it helpful to list out the different elements on each side and tackle each element individually as I go. I re-write the equation with the coefficients I'm trying in order to keep my work organized so I don't get confused.

Samantha Chung 4I

Postby Samantha Chung 4I » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm

I usually pick one atom to start with then deduce the rest accordingly. There was a problem we did today in discussion where we wrote one of the ratios as a fraction(I think it was 25/2). Then we multiplied the entire thing by two to get integer values. I think thats useful as well!

Mayaal_Khan_4H

Postby Mayaal_Khan_4H » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 pm

I would suggest writing the numbers down under the reaction sign and solving them right there. I will provide you with an example:
So, balance H2 + O2 ------> H2O by writing down the numbers of moles each reactant and product has. Having the moles written down
2 =H= 2
2 =O= 1
makes it easy for you to balance the equation. So, the final step would be to equalize both sides.

MadisonB

Postby MadisonB » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:20 pm

I usually start with what occurs the least and work through trial and error if I have to. It something is taking too long or not working out make sure you wrote it down correctly because a small mistake at first can turn into a huge hassle in the long run.

SydBenedict2H

Postby SydBenedict2H » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Typically I do it by trial and error as wel (more or less logic-ing it out) but you can do the method from that one example he did where he got 13/2 (6.5) then multiply both side by 2

Anjali 4A

Postby Anjali 4A » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:06 pm

I also usually balance equations using the trial and error method, but like Dr. Lavelle said in class we should always balance the element that occurs the least in the equation. For example, if O Occurs in many species (e.g. 3) and H & C occurs in less species (e.g. 2) we should balance O first then the following two.

jane_ni_2d

Postby jane_ni_2d » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:03 am

I balance the equation based on whether the elements are in a compound or not! I balance the elements in compounds first, because the elements not in compounds or in compounds of just themselves (ex: O2) are easier to change around later.

Timothy_Yueh_4L

Postby Timothy_Yueh_4L » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:03 pm

I typically balance equations starting off with elements that has the least amount of atoms, and then begin balancing the rest in order of least to most. When dealing with combustion, I again begin with the element with the smallest amount (C, N, etc.) and work my way to H and then O. I keep an eye out for the water produced because any odd coefficient placed in front would require a reevaluation for the coefficient in front of the organic compound.

isarose0

Postby isarose0 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Keep track of each element by creating a small tea chart on the side! You can keep updating the chart when coefficients become higher values

Hannah Yates 1K

Postby Hannah Yates 1K » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:20 pm

I don’t know if this will help anyone, but every time I balance a combustion reaction, I am always thinking in even numbers. The reason for this is that if there is an odd number of oxygen on the product side of the reaction, the coefficient will end up being a number and a half. If I am always thinking in terms of even numbers, I tend to end with the correct coefficients for O2 (which I find to be the hardest element to balance.)

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:55 pm

I have not read all of the comments, but since there are a lot, I will say a couple of things. First, there is no definitive way to balance equations, it is essentially managed guessing and checking, so don't feel like you're missing something if you don't know "THE" way to do it. There are some good suggestions above. Generally, don't balance hydrogen and oxygen first. Balance the element that is in the least number of species overall first. Try to alter the biggest species the least (meaning don't go to that first for balancing), since changing that coefficient will change the numbers of many different elements. Also, remember that solids like P4 and diatomics like O2 are really nice for balancing, so use those at the end!

Veronica Soliman 4H

Postby Veronica Soliman 4H » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:23 pm

One important tip that my TA actually spoke about was if you keep going back and forth while balancing reactions, it's probably wrong and it's best to attempt that problem from the start.

SophiaKohlhoff4B

Postby SophiaKohlhoff4B » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:17 pm

I have found it is easiest to balance the least occurring elements first, starting in compounds consisting of the most elements. Then, I leave compounds such as O2 for last because it is easy to balance the lone element of oxygen according to what the rest of the equation calls for.

Nawaphan Watanasirisuk 3B

Postby Nawaphan Watanasirisuk 3B » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 am

I find it helpful, especially when balancing equations with many different elements, to keep track of the amount of each element on the side. It might be a bit tedious if you have to update them each time you change the amount in the equation but usually it works well for me.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”