Solutions Manual

Any general non-science questions (software questions/problems, etc.,) and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brandon Mo 4K

Solutions Manual

Postby Brandon Mo 4K » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Is the solutions manual required? I have the 6th edition of the textbook, but I do not plan on acquiring the solutions manual.

It was noted on the class website link (Questions About The Textbook?):

'All the readings and homework are from the textbook. The solutions manual has the detailed
homework solutions. Students do not need to bring these to lectures. However, they are
needed for discussion sections and office hours
.'

Dayna Pham 1I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Solutions Manual

Postby Dayna Pham 1I » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:10 pm

I think solutions manual is not mandatory; however, it is highly recommended. It can be used to check your homework as well as trace back answers if you don't understand them. I believe this is because the textbook (sixth edition) only provides answers to the odd-numbered exercises, which starts on page C10 in the back of the book, and I'd assume the solutions manual will provide the rest of the answers, since I haven't purchased the solutions manual yet either.

If you do change your mind, I think some people are purchasing the solutions manual but sharing it with some other people to split the cost.

Jordan Lo 2A

Postby Jordan Lo 2A » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:13 pm

I purchased the 6th edition solutions manual, but it only has odd-numbered answers. Is there a way to check even answers, or am I looking in the wrong place?

katietietsworth_3c

Postby katietietsworth_3c » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:32 am

I am also confused as to whether or not to get a solutions manual and does it have step by step help or just one answer? Do they still have them at the student store or can we find them online? I definitely want to check my answers and I just rented the hardcover textbook but wasn't told we needed a solutions manual until yesterday. Also for the pre and post modules we have to do is there solutions to the ones we got wrong anywhere so i can see where I went wrong?

Jane Burgan 1C

Postby Jane Burgan 1C » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:34 pm

@katie you can find a solutions manual for the 6th edition on amazon and the 7th edition on textbooks.com! Also for the module there aren't solutions but u can always ask about a specific question in the module here and people will reply with step by step solutions and help :)

Zubair Ahmed 1L

Postby Zubair Ahmed 1L » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 pm

I have the solutions manual for the 6th edition textbook and it is very helpful for me. It gives me the ability to check my answers and shows me the steps for certain questions I have trouble figuring out. It is a great way to understand new material as well if you want to get ahead and try new sets of problems on your own. I highly recommend acquiring the solution manual even though it is not required.

Saman Andalib 1H

Postby Saman Andalib 1H » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:39 pm

There are many free PDFs of the solution manuals available online that can be found with some deep web hunting. I wouldn't recommend paying the sky-high price of the manual for something you won't even look at for more than a minute at a time. If you need the PDF, let me know.

AustinGrove3B

Postby AustinGrove3B » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:05 pm

The solutions manual has the answers to all the odd number questions in the book, which are also located in the back of the textbook. However, in the solutions manual, Dr. Lavelle explains how to get each answer and includes his work (which is definitely not in the back of the book). Its a good purchase, but definitely not 100% necessary to get an A.

Yukta Italia 3I

Postby Yukta Italia 3I » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:17 pm

I find the solutions manual pretty helpful because sometimes it's easier to just see the work and understand what the question is trying to ask based off of that.

kateminden

Postby kateminden » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:21 pm

I think the solutions manual is really helpful, especially when you don't understand how to work out certain types of problems. Often just being given the right answer isn't very helpful. The manual gives the answers as well as the steps taken to get the answers. I think purchasing it is worth it.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”