Light

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Duby3L

Light

Postby Duby3L » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:18 pm

How does amplitude affect frequency? And what is the relationship between the wavelength and frequency?

Samantha Man 1L

Re: Light

Postby Samantha Man 1L » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 am

I'm pretty sure amplitude and frequency aren't dependent on each other since amplitude is like how high/low the wave goes and frequency is how fast the wave travels. I know that wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional of each other based on c=(wavelength)(frequency).

Melody Zhang 3L

Postby Melody Zhang 3L » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm

The amplitude is the height of the wave and it corresponds with he intensity of the light. I don't believe amplitude is related to frequency because the intensity of light is different from the energy of each photon, which is related to the wavelength and frequency.

Searra Harding 4I

Postby Searra Harding 4I » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Duby3L wrote:How does amplitude affect frequency? And what is the relationship between the wavelength and frequency?

Amplitude doesn't necessarily affect frequency. When thinking of amplitude you can think "How large?" and when thinking about frequency think "How fast?" Wavelength and frequency have an inverse relationship because of c=wavelength x frequency. For example, if wavelength decreases, then frequency increases.

Archana Biju 1G

Postby Archana Biju 1G » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Amplitude and frequency are related in that they are inversely proportional to one another.

So, if the amplitude increases, the frequency decreases, or if the amplitude decreases, the frequency increases. This relationship is derived from the equation v = c/(lamda).

Postby 805098281 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Amplitude is distance divided by the frequency. The wavelength can be found by dividing the speed of light by the frequency.

LaurenJuul_1B

Postby LaurenJuul_1B » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Archana Biju 1G wrote:Amplitude and frequency are related in that they are inversely proportional to one another.

So, if the amplitude increases, the frequency decreases, or if the amplitude decreases, the frequency increases. This relationship is derived from the equation v = c/(lamda).

Actually, amplitude and frequency are not inverses! Frequency is the inverse of wavelength, since frequency is equal to the velocity of the wave divided by lambda, which is wavelength.

Alyssa Wilson 2A

Postby Alyssa Wilson 2A » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:07 pm

805098281 wrote:Amplitude is distance divided by the frequency. The wavelength can be found by dividing the speed of light by the frequency.

The amplitude is how tall a wave can get, where the frequency means how quick a wave can be, as well as how many peaks are in the cycle. I believe that frequency and amplitude aren't dependent on one another, because of the formula that states that the wavelength and the frequency are inversely related. c=(wavelength)(frequency)

Rosha Mamita 2H

Postby Rosha Mamita 2H » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Archana Biju 1G wrote:Amplitude and frequency are related in that they are inversely proportional to one another.

I believe its the frequency and wavelength that are inversely proportional to one another rather than frequency and wavelength. Equations we went over in class relating to the frequency and wavelength show that one will increase as the other decreases

Samantha Chang 2K

Postby Samantha Chang 2K » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Amplitude measures the height of each wave and equates to the energy or intensity of the light. The amplitude does not have any effect on the frequency. Wavelength and frequency are inverses of one another, so if one increases the other one decreases. This is based off of the equation c(speed of light)=(wavelength)(frequency). It helped me to draw out a picture to understand the concept.

Return to “Properties of Light”