Wavefunction

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Wavefunction

Postby 105114680 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:01 pm

I know that wavefunctions describe the distribution of an electron in an atom but I am having trouble understanding that concept. For one, why is it called a wavefunction and does it have anything to do with an atom's energy levels?

Chloe Orsini 1K

Re: Wavefunction

Postby Chloe Orsini 1K » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:42 pm

The wave function predicts statistically where an electron will be at a certain time. The wave function is a probability so it is still largely a "theory" which makes it difficult to understand. However, an orbital is a mathematical function that describes the wave-like behavior of the electron, so it could be used to help depict this probability.

Riya Shah 4H

Postby Riya Shah 4H » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:38 pm

How important is it to know the Schrodinger Equation because it can be very confusing?

deepto_mizan1H

Postby deepto_mizan1H » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:50 pm

I think for the purpose of the class and for learning about the "Quantum World", knowing the Schrodinger Wave Function Equation is essential for a conceptual understanding. From my understanding the equation allows us to gain a probable location of the particle (probability density) by solving the equation for the particle's wave function. The particle in a box idea helps to conceptualize a limited space with certain wavelengths. The book does a good job of highlighting its conceptual importance, and why the Quantum World exhibits unique phenomena.

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”