Light acts as a wave or not?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madeline Motamedi 4I

Light acts as a wave or not?

Postby Madeline Motamedi 4I » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23 am

I'm still a bit confused as to wether light acts as a wave or not and in what situations this happens. Also, which situation would we be dealing with more often?

Hovik Mike Mkryan 2I

Re: Light acts as a wave or not?

Postby Hovik Mike Mkryan 2I » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 am

Hello,
According to my notes from Mondays lecture, I noted that light acts as both waves and particles. This is due to the fact that at such a small scale it is possible to have both properties. Hope this cleared up your question!

Sabrina Ryu 3L

Postby Sabrina Ryu 3L » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:59 am

Light does act as both a wave and a particle! On Monday's lecture we focused on the particle aspect while talking about the photoelectric effect, black bodies, and atomic spectra. However, if you read the book there are more details about the wave aspect of light, including diffraction and the Schrodinger equation. As for which of the two we will be focusing on, I think both parts are important, because light and other particles wave particle duality, meaning both characteristics apply.

megan blatt 2B

Postby megan blatt 2B » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:12 am

Light acts as both a wave and a particle. When dealing with quantum mechanics, light is assumed to act as a particle and is absorbed and emitted in discrete units. However, it also has wave like qualities, such as electromagnetic radiation, wavelength, and frequency. I believe that we go over light's properties from both perspectives, but the most recent lecture covered light as a particle.

JT Wechsler 2B

Postby JT Wechsler 2B » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:04 am

Depending on the experiment and on the situation, light has the ability to act both as a wave and as a particle. It can get cloudy and confusing at times, but light is able to do both depending on how you are collecting the data.

Parth Mungra

Postby Parth Mungra » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:17 am

I had a similar question to yours. During our Monday lecture, Dr. Lavelle said that we don't know what light looks like, but we have these two models. I'm confused as to why we keep using the classical wave model if we have found an experiment that shows the wave model is not correct. Why don't we use the packets of light model to describe light instead of waves?

Karla_Ocampo 4E

Postby Karla_Ocampo 4E » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi! According to my notes, light does act as both a wave and a particle. Hope this helps!

Nicole Lee 4E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nicole Lee 4E » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Light acts as both, but we use the quantum model for specific topics and the wave model for others. Dr. Lavelle emphasized on Monday that the wave model does not apply to the photoelectric effect.

Leslie Cheng 4B

Postby Leslie Cheng 4B » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 pm

We do not know exactly what light looks like, so we can only come up with models of it. We have the wave model and the particle model. The particle model was only conceived of when the photoelectric effect was discovered. Therefore, light has qualities of both the wave and particle models, but it also lacks qualities of both. Hope this helped!

ran2000

Postby ran2000 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:36 am

Light acts like both a wave and a particle. Depending on the situation, for questions in class, we tend to adopt the wave or particle model which fits a particular explanation.

Parth Mungra

Postby Parth Mungra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:47 pm

What's the difference between the description of ray vs light? Ex. Gamma Ray vs Ultraviolet light
I'm sure we won't need this information, just curious.

Return to “Properties of Light”