Studying techniques

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hadji Yono-Cruz 2L

Studying techniques

Postby Hadji Yono-Cruz 2L » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 am

What are some effective ways to study for chemistry?

Sophia_Kiessling_2L

Re: Studying techniques

Postby Sophia_Kiessling_2L » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am

Do the extra homework problems that are listed on the syllabus and watch bozeman youtube videos and take notes theyre super helpful

Kevin ODonnell 2B

Postby Kevin ODonnell 2B » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am

Dr. Lavelle provides a lot of great resources for studying. I'd definitely reccomend going through the video modules on the website, and reading the chosen sections in the book. Do the practice problems for homework and choose a wide range not just all from one section/topic. If you are confused on a problem I'd reccomend reading that section in the book again, and watching videos from sources like Khan Academy that may explain it in a way that you understand better. If you are still confused there are many office hours and learning sessions (step-up program) where you can ask questions. Forming study groups also works for some people since it keeps everyone focused and accountable. There are study rooms around campus that have white board walls that may be good for this when writing out a problem. Something that has worked for me is reading through my notes from the day. That way I re-enforce what I learned that day, and I can also see what sections I am still confused on so I can ask about it in office hours.
I hope this helps

Mikka Hoffman 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Mikka Hoffman 1C » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm

The things that have helped me the most are doing lots of problems from the textbook and doing the video modules that Dr. Lavelle has on his website, including the post and pre-assessments. The examples in the textbook are also a great resource if you are still feeling unsure about certain topics.

Raphael_SanAndres3C

Postby Raphael_SanAndres3C » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:43 pm

I have been doing the last few problems for each section and trying to solve it over and over again until I completely understand it. Its been helping with the conceptual side of chemistry.

Nicolle Fernandez 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nicolle Fernandez 1E » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:03 pm

For this class the modules are very effective in studying because it has a lot of extra practice which makes practicing easier. Also doing extra homework problems are effective because you have the solutions you can continue working until you get the right answer.

nolansheow3G

Postby nolansheow3G » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:16 pm

I would also try using videos on Youtube. I used Youtube for the majority of AP Chem and there are a lot of quality tutorials online - many include practice problems. The textbook has some tricky wording on some of the problems so if you've never seen a certain type of problem (like limiting reactant, for example), I'd suggest starting with straightforward practice problems on Youtube to get the concept down first, and then using the textbook problems once you understand the concept. Khan Academy, Bozeman Science, and even CrashCourse have good videos.

Edward Suarez 1I

Postby Edward Suarez 1I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:00 pm

make sure you complete a good variety of questions from the list of questions he provided us!

Natalie Liu 4I

Postby Natalie Liu 4I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:05 pm

I find the modules on the website and khan academy videos to be very helpful. I also look at the lecture outlines and make sure I can do everything listed on there.

Daniel Bowen 3I

Postby Daniel Bowen 3I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:07 pm

I would do all of the modules provided. Also if you have time go through every homework question listed for the textbook version you have. I would recommend going to the peer learning/ step-up sessions

Postby 705152867 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:11 pm

Taking notes while you watch the modules can help a lot; even though Lavelle goes over the same topics in lecture, it helps to have the content available to watch as many times as you want. And as people have said before me, there are tons of YouTube channels that help a lot. Watching videos is a lot easier than reading if it's hard to focus!

Tuong Nguyen 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Tuong Nguyen 2I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Besides doing all the homework problems, you've probably also heard about going to your TA hours or Dr. Lavelle's office hours for help. I would recommend going to the UA Peer Learning Sessions that have the different levels like step by step reviewing/extra practice or the more fast paced sessions where the UA assumes that you are already somewhat confident in that topic.

Maria Solis Disc 1G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Maria Solis Disc 1G » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:59 am

It all depends on the person. What works best for me is either rewiting notes in different colors, which helps me remember things better, or even making a little song out of the study notes. You can also try flashcards!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”