explain debroglie equation?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Erica Li 1C

explain debroglie equation?

Postby Erica Li 1C » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:59 pm

I don't think I really understand the de Broglie equation at all and how it relates to what exactly we're learning, could someone explain it to me?

LG2019

Re: explain debroglie equation?

Postby LG2019 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:52 pm

The debroglie equation is used to describe the wavelike nature of an electron. The equation is: wavelength = /mv
The equation can also be applied to larger objects like cars to see if they have measurable wavelike properties.

pamcoronel1H

Postby pamcoronel1H » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:25 am

In the beginning, it was observed that when electrons were passed through a crystal, a diffraction pattern could be seen, just like how light-that we know has wavelike properties- also shows diffraction patterns. This meant that electrons have both particle-like and wavelike properties.

Quantum mechanics description of electrons states that all matter has wavelike properties, HOWEVER it can only be noticed for moving objects with extremely SMALL masses.

The De Broglie equation shows that wavelike properties can be noticed for electrons, since it takes into consideration the mass of the object:

λ=h/p(mass×velocity)

Another wording of the equation that might help understand this is that the equation is basically saying that for "any moving particle with momentum p( which is mass×velocity), has wavelike properties with the wavelength, λ.

Jacqueline Duong 1H

Postby Jacqueline Duong 1H » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:26 pm

The De Broglie equation is λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34), m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle. You use this equation to find the wavelength of a moving particle.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”