Nodal Planes

1-D:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Olivia Young 1A

Nodal Planes

Postby Olivia Young 1A » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I believe I remember Dr. Lavelle saying that the 'd' atomic orbital has two nodal planes, but the mention of the cone-shaped nodal plane confused me. Is the cone nodal plane in the d-orbital considered one of the two basic nodal planes or is it a separate, third nodal plane in the d-orbitals? Also, I wasn't sure completely sure of what nodal planes represent or their function in atomic orbitals. Any help would be appreciated!

Rachana Jayaraman 1H

Re: Nodal Planes

Postby Rachana Jayaraman 1H » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Nodal planes are planes in which the probability of finding an electron is zero. These planes usually occur along the axes where the nodes almost intersect. As for the cone-shaped nodal plane, he was discussing the 3dz^2 orbital. There are two cone-shaped planes, thus 2 nodal planes for the orbital. The shape is because of the unique probability distribution; it is not a third plane.
Here is a picture that can help you better visualize it.

Camille Marangi 2E

Re: Nodal Planes

Postby Camille Marangi 2E » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm

I believe the cone-shaped nodal plane are both the planes in the d-orbital. These cone-shaped planes only occur in one orbital of the 'd' type, where there are 5 in total.The specific orbital that it occurs in is the 3dz^2. All the rest have regular planes (square-shape as we previously have seen). I've attached an image to hopefully provide more clarity. Hope I've helped!

https://files.mtstatic.com/site_4334/27 ... 4GI7A555NA

Return to “*Shrodinger Equation”