Symmetric vs. Non symmetric orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Miriam Sheetz 2B

Symmetric vs. Non symmetric orbitals

Postby Miriam Sheetz 2B » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:33 am

I know s-orbitals are the only ones without a nodal plane so the electron density is symmetric but I don't really understand the significance of this or what it really means when applying this information?

sameeksha_panda_3h

Re: Symmetric vs. Non symmetric orbitals

Postby sameeksha_panda_3h » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 pm

A nodal plane is an area where there is no electron density. s-orbitals do not have nodal planes which means that the distribution of electrons is even over the entire orbital. Other types of orbits have nodal planes and therefore the distribution of electrons is not even (therefore its nonsymmetric).

Kathryn Wilhem 1I

Postby Kathryn Wilhem 1I » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:37 pm

S-orbitals do not have nodal planes, so they have even electron density distribution, making the shell symmetric. Every other orbital has at least one nodal plane, meaning there is zero electron density distribution and making the shell not symmetric. This explains why the p-orbitals have a dumbbell shape and d-orbitals have a four lobe shape. In between the lobes, there is an area where there is zero electron density distribution. The s-orbital has no nodal planes and therefore has the symmetric spherical shape.

yuetao4k
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby yuetao4k » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:28 pm

The symmetry helps us understand how the structures are shaped.

Brian Chang 2H

Postby Brian Chang 2H » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:02 am

Because S-Orbitals are spherical they have complete symmetry, hence there are no nodal planes.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”