ionization energy  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vanessa Reyes_1K

ionization energy

Postby Vanessa Reyes_1K » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:00 pm

Can someone please explain why removing a second electron is more difficult and why the second ionization energy of an element is always higher? Thanks!!

Kathryn Wilhem 1I

Re: ionization energy

Postby Kathryn Wilhem 1I » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:30 pm

The further away an electron is away from the nucleus, the easier it is to remove. Once the electron that is furthest away from the nucleus is removed, the next farthest would be removed. However, this electron is closer to the atom than the first electron, making it harder to remove, and increasing the ionization energy.

Madeline Motamedi 4I

Postby Madeline Motamedi 4I » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 pm

When you take away an electron, the electron's charge becomes positive since you have more protons than electrons. This means that the pull on those remaining electrons is higher, it wants to keep its electrons. This make it harder to lose another. This is my understanding, but anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ariel Cheng 2I

Postby Ariel Cheng 2I » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:06 am

After the first electron is removed, the ratio of protons to electrons increases and therefore the pull on the remaining electrons increases. This raises the ionization energy.

Nicholas Le 4H

Re: ionization energy  [ENDORSED]

Postby Nicholas Le 4H » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:34 am

Removing the second electron from an atom is more difficult due to the higher ionization energy required to remove it. This is due to the fact that the nuclear charge has a stronger pull on the remaining electrons as there is now one less electron. Thus, with a stronger attraction due to a positive charge and one less electron, the second ionization energy will be higher.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”