P-block elements

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Esther Ahn 4I

P-block elements

Postby Esther Ahn 4I » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:39 pm

I was just wondering how you would know what p-block element gains its electrons and what p-block element loses its electrons. Does it just depend on the element?

Joon Chang 2F

Re: P-block elements

Postby Joon Chang 2F » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:51 pm

In the p-block, the metals form cations by losing their valence electrons and the nonmetals form anions by gaining enough valence electrons to fill their p-orbital.

Tony Ong 3K

Postby Tony Ong 3K » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Normally, the ones with less than 4 valence electrons loses its electrons while the ones over 4 valence electrons want to gain electrons. Both want to fulfill the octet rule in the least possible manner of gaining or losing electrons possible if that makes sense.

Abbey Brandt 1K

Postby Abbey Brandt 1K » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:13 am

The following is taken from an extremely useful chemistry article that explains how p-block elements differ from the others we learn about. I hope this helps:

The difference in inner core of elements greatly influences their physical properties (such as atomic and ionic radii, ionisation enthalpy, etc.) as well as chemical properties. Consequently, a lot of variation in properties of elements in a group of p-block is observed. The maximum oxidation state shown by a p-block element is equal to the total number of valence electrons (i.e., the sum of the s- and p-electrons). Clearly, the number of possible oxidation states increases towards the right of the periodic table. In addition to this so called group oxidation state, p-block elements may show other oxidation states which normally, but not necessarily, differ from the total number of valence electrons by unit of two.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”