electronegativity and ionization energy  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Claire Guo 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

electronegativity and ionization energy

Postby Claire Guo 1B » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:27 am

What's the difference between electronegativity and ionization energy?

Michelle Wang 4I

Re: electronegativity and ionization energy  [ENDORSED]

Postby Michelle Wang 4I » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:14 am

Electronegativity is the ability of the atom to attract electrons into its orbital. For example, fluorine is the most electronegative element because it wants to reach the stable configuration of neon. Ionization energy is the amount of energy necessary to remove an electron from an atom. The two are proportional to each other; as electronegativity increases so does the ionization energy.

Alli Hinmon 3E

Re: electronegativity and ionization energy

Postby Alli Hinmon 3E » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:30 am

Ionization Energy is the amount of energy that an isolated atom in a ground state must have in order to discharge an electron! This is seen in our in class notes when we drew the picture of the metal and the equation En - ϕ = Ek where ϕ is the Energy that is needed in order to eject the electron so that Ek must be greater then or equal to ϕ.

Andrewwiner4D

Postby Andrewwiner4D » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 am

I visualize ionization energy is having a struggle with an atom to pull one of its electron away from it, where electronegativity is an atom pulling my own electrons away when we are linking up (if the other atom has a higher electronegativity).

Dong Hyun Lee 4E

Postby Dong Hyun Lee 4E » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:15 pm

I think of electronegativity as how strong the pull of the atom is on the electrons while I see ionization energy as the amount of energy needed to displace a electron from an atom.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”