General guideline for drawing structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Leslie Cheng 4B

General guideline for drawing structures

Postby Leslie Cheng 4B » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:01 am

Hi! Does anyone have a general guideline for drawing lewis or resonance structures? For example, I'm not sure if I should calculate the formal charge for all possible structures first before deciding on which structure is the correct one, because it seems a bit time-consuming during timed tests. Thanks in advance!

Artin Allahverdian 2H

Re: General guideline for drawing structures

Postby Artin Allahverdian 2H » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:01 pm

For the easy structures u will not have to do much work since there are no exceptions.

However for resonance, u can tell because the molecule will be the same just with the double bond occurring in either side. Calculate the formal charge just to make sure it is resonance.

For the free radical elements like in group 13 of the periodic table, they can either fill up the octet or not fill up the octet. It all depends on how many electrons you have available to work with and also on the formal charge.

For the elements that are in the n=3 energy level or greater, there is a possibility of having more than an octet since the d orbital can increase the number of valence electrons the element can hold. Again, I’d calculate the formal charge to see whether the element should or should not have more than an octet.

In general, calculating the formal charge is the most secure way of making sure you got the right Lewis structure. It may be time consuming, but if u practice a lot calculating the formal charge, you will be able to work much faster on the test.

Julia Lee

Postby Julia Lee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:20 pm

I think that Lavelle said in lecture that generally, the lower electronegative element will be in the middle of the structure and then the other elements will usually form bonds around it. Also, Hydrogen only can bond once so it is never in the middle of a molecule.

Kelly Zhang 1L

Postby Kelly Zhang 1L » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:04 pm

when we draw resonance structures, if it has a net overall charge of -2, do we have to bracket the drawing and write subscript -2?

Julia Lee

Postby Julia Lee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:22 am

kellyzhang1210 wrote:when we draw resonance structures, if it has a net overall charge of -2, do we have to bracket the drawing and write subscript -2?

Yes, that is correct

Return to “Resonance Structures”