Chem Test 2, #5 b

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Adrian C 1D

Chem Test 2, #5 b

Postby Adrian C 1D » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm

IN a neon lamp, the electrons moving in the current transfer their kinetic energy to Ne atoms resulting in the excitation of an electron in the Ne atom. At the threshold voltage, the current decreases and light is emitted.
b)Light is only emitted at certain voltages. What does this tell us about the nature of the energy levels in the Ne atoms?

I had answered that the voltage would have to be high enough to allow Ne atoms to emit light.
I know that's a flimsy answer but can someone explain it in more detail?

zoepamonag4C

Re: Chem Test 2, #5 b

Postby zoepamonag4C » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm

I think that light is emitted because we are going from a higher energy level to lower energy level.

AvaGordon_4F

Postby AvaGordon_4F » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm

I had a differently worded question but I also think what they're asking for in your case was for you to say that energy levels are quantized in the atom. Meaning that the energy (and therefore frequency) of light that is emitted corresponds to the specific amounts of energy necessary to move an atom up or down an energy level (ex: n=1 -->n=2) and the fact that only specific voltages of light were emitted means that only specific (quantized) frequencies could be used to excite and emit electrons from the Ne lamp

Karina Jiayu Xu 4E

Postby Karina Jiayu Xu 4E » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:26 pm

I got credit by saying that atoms have discrete energy levels. I hope that helps

MichelleTran 1I

Postby MichelleTran 1I » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:43 pm

For that one, you would have to say no, because depending on the work function of the Hg atom, only certain wavelengths will be emitted when an e- reaches a certain energy level. In other words, atoms have discrete energy values, and if the wavelength emitted is not that value, then the atoms will not release e-.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”